Bogner Uberkab vs 412ST

Romans 1:16

It seems I'm liking about almost all Bogner amps better through the 412ST versus the Uberkab although I recently grabbed a 20th anniv ETC with 6L6's because it sounded so good through the Uberkab anyway. However, I previously passed on the 20th anniv Shiva and Uberschall Twin Jet (both with KT88's) as well as a Shiva with EL34's and seemed to like them both better with the ST cab loaded with (4) v30's.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Could this really make such a big difference?

I'm thinking about starting ALL over with both cabs and all (XTC, Shiva, Uberschall) heads.

Let me know what you think or any experiences......I also have D-Moll on the way...

not
sure what
question
is...

Couple things:
Best cabs in my experience are - Diezel FL4x12 G12K100, Bogner UberKab 4x12 V30/G75, Fryette D412, Bogner RL4x12 V30

This is all I can tell you.
Mo

Which version of the Uberkab? The newer version had front loaded Vintage 30s and G-12 75s in the x pattern wired for 16 ohms. The older version (prior to January 2009 according to the Boggy site) was rear loaded with the same x pattern speakers, but was wired at 8 ohms. I thought I had the newer version, but after checking realized I had the older version. I traded it off years ago and have the standard 4x12 with Vintage 30s, which I like considerably more. For the record, I'm currently running a (far as I know) stock 101b. When I had the Uberkab, I ran a Dual Rectifier through it that I dropped in a matched quad of Winged C EL34s and a groove tubes SAG high gain preamp tube set. I never liked the Dual much, seemed to have too much lows and highs, but not enough miss. The tube swaps helped, but the older Uber seemed to work against that amp. Now I want to hear the newer version with my XTC.

Ventura":3b8mvzee said:
not
Couple things:
Best cabs in my experience are - Diezel FL4x12 G12K100, Bogner UberKab 4x12 V30/G75, Fryette D412, Bogner RL4x12 V30

Mo

Ubercab ate Diezel FL4x12 g12k100, really, even Marshall sounds better than this Diezel (haven't played the V30 version though). Ubercab is chunky and crispy, Diezel is dull and kinda muddy. Fryette D412 is a specific cab, it plays well with most of the amps but you need to be careful.

I have a Bogner 4x12 loaded with British Celestion Greenbacks as well as Uberkabs, front and rear loaded versions, with celestion V30's and 75w in an X pattern. I use them with Uberschall heads as well as a 101B. They all sound great in any combination. Just have to sit with your particular combo and play/twirl knobs and you'll find great tone in there! :)

Rudy

I have a new Bogner Rear Loaded V30 straight cab and an Uberkab Front Loaded - both are fantastic in their own right. Running with Diezel DMoll & VH4. Also have a Mills with X Pattern of V30 and Creambacks - X pattern cabs can cover a lot of ground with the right speakers. Lots of variables involved but a V30 cab and Uberkab and a greenie cab could probably do it all.

The Bogner cabs are all the same from my understanding other than the speaker mounting, ohmage, and types which varied from the regular 4x12, first Uberkab, and second Uberkab. I personally prefer 16 ohm cabs over 8's, and I like front loaded cabs with darker/more modern amps, and rear loaded with your typical old Marshall. JMO

zerotolerance":340bdzli said:
Ventura":340bdzli said:
not
Couple things:

Mo

Ubercab ate Diezel FL4x12 g12k100, really, even Marshall sounds better than this Diezel (haven't played the V30 version though). Ubercab is chunky and crispy, Diezel is dull and kinda muddy. Fryette D412 is a specific cab, it plays well with most of the amps but you need to be careful.

It's the K100's. I thought mine sounded like crap too. I went with an X pattern of two mesa V30's and left two of the K100's in, much better. Bass tightened up considerably. I ordered my second Diezel cab with all V30's after learning that lesson the first time.

esizer":2m2ad61m said:
What is the tonal difference of front vs rear loaded?

The FL are supposed to give you a more direct attack - more "in your face" sound where the rear loaded is smoother. I have a front loaded Bogner Uberkab and V30 Bogner 412 but apart from the differences in the speakers themselves I wouldn't lose sleep over it - they FL and RL both sound great.

The bass is also supposed to hold together better in a properly built front load, like the uberkab, Diezel, VHT, etc.

RJF":2tt4mdmo said:
The bass is also supposed to hold together better in a properly built front load, like the uberkab, Diezel, VHT, etc.

I'm gonna personally leave the Uberkab off of this list when it comes to "properly built front loaded" cabs. Bogners IMO are moderately built rear loaded cabs, and the Uberkab simply mounts the speakers from the front instead of the rear. If I'm not mistaken, the whole point of a front loaded cab is to make sure the cab is completely air tight, and most of the sound is coming directly from the speakers. In a Marshall like cab (which Bogner copies, but uses slightly thicker birch ply) the back is screwed on, and not completely air tight. Also, VHT/Fryette uses MDF for the baffle that the speakers are mounted on which is much more dense than plywood.

It's funny that everyone dogs Marshall for replacing the old plywood backs on their cabs with MDF, when MDF is actually preferred over plywood when it comes to installed sound. The whole reason behind using plywood instead of MDF is to reduce weight, and the fact that plywood is tougher when it gets banged around than MDF is. Even Bogner (afaik anywho) puts fiberglass or whatever it is that they put in pa speakers on the back panel to warm up the sound some. If they just used MDF for rear panels and baffles, they prolly wouldn't have to do this.

IMO if you want a tight, puncy, ballsy cab, then you need to look to VHT/Frette for a Fatbottom first, Deliverance next, then Hiwatt, and lastly Orange. All of those cabs are built like tanks, and are the friggin' shizznit when it comes to 16 ohm cabs. Diezel may be good as well, but I've never been in the presence of one. Also, screw 8 ohm cabs like Mesa puts out. IMO they use 8 ohm cabs in place of solid/heavy construction. 8ohms handles low end better without farting out, but it's not as puncy as 16ohms. It's difficult however to make a 16ohm cab that doesn't fart out/rattle/vibrate under volume with a good deal of low end. I do think VHT/Fryette, Hiwatt, and Orange achieved greatness in this category however.

If I didn't use modern amps with tons of gain and low end (eg. VHT/Fryette, Bogner, Diezel, Mesa, etc.), I would be totally content with Marshall 1960a and 1960b cabs, even with their 5/8" baltic birch ply vs. 3/4" baltic birch ply. AND Marshalls use finger joints vs. tongue/grove or rabbet joints which is actually more expensive to produce.

I have constant access to an old Marshall metal handled straight cab with a ply back, and TBH, the major difference in sound between it and my '87 JCM 800 1960a with GT75's is the speakers. Putting a wood screw through the back panel of a Marshall cab into the 2x2" brace that goes from the rear panel and is glued to the front baffel, is one of the best things you can do to them. You can also get Marshall cabs for $250-450 all day lond depending on condition as well.

moronmountain":vpesimfc said:
RJF":vpesimfc said:

I'm gonna personally leave the Uberkab off of this list when it comes to "properly built front loaded" cabs. Bogners IMO are moderately built rear loaded cabs, and the Uberkab simply mounts the speakers from the front instead of the rear. If I'm not mistaken, the whole point of a front loaded cab is to make sure the cab is completely air tight, and most of the sound is coming directly from the speakers. In a Marshall like cab (which Bogner copies, but uses slightly thicker birch ply) the back is screwed on, and not completely air tight. Also, VHT/Fryette uses MDF for the baffle that the speakers are mounted on which is much more dense than plywood.

It's funny that everyone dogs Marshall for replacing the old plywood backs on their cabs with MDF, when MDF is actually preferred over plywood when it comes to installed sound. The whole reason behind using plywood instead of MDF is to reduce weight, and the fact that plywood is tougher when it gets banged around than MDF is. Even Bogner (afaik anywho) puts fiberglass or whatever it is that they put in pa speakers on the back panel to warm up the sound some. If they just used MDF for rear panels and baffles, they prolly wouldn't have to do this.

IMO if you want a tight, puncy, ballsy cab, then you need to look to VHT/Frette for a Fatbottom first, Deliverance next, then Hiwatt, and lastly Orange. All of those cabs are built like tanks, and are the friggin' shizznit when it comes to 16 ohm cabs. Diezel may be good as well, but I've never been in the presence of one. Also, screw 8 ohm cabs like Mesa puts out. IMO they use 8 ohm cabs in place of solid/heavy construction. 8ohms handles low end better without farting out, but it's not as puncy as 16ohms. It's difficult however to make a 16ohm cab that doesn't fart out/rattle/vibrate under volume with a good deal of low end. I do think VHT/Fryette, Hiwatt, and Orange achieved greatness in this category however.

If I didn't use modern amps with tons of gain and low end (eg. VHT/Fryette, Bogner, Diezel, Mesa, etc.), I would be totally content with Marshall 1960a and 1960b cabs, even with their 5/8" baltic birch ply vs. 3/4" baltic birch ply. AND Marshalls use finger joints vs. tongue/grove or rabbet joints which is actually more expensive to produce.

I have constant access to an old Marshall metal handled straight cab with a ply back, and TBH, the major difference in sound between it and my '87 JCM 800 1960a with GT75's is the speakers. Putting a wood screw through the back panel of a Marshall cab into the 2x2" brace that goes from the rear panel and is glued to the front baffel, is one of the best things you can do to them. You can also get Marshall cabs for $250-450 all day lond depending on condition as well.

No offense, but you're wrong on the majority of the comments you made here. I don't want to give myself arthritis by typing a full rebuttal.

Didn't know the uberkab had a removable backing. I'd like to actually see that to believe it.

Diezel cabs are completely sealed with no removable back. Plus, when they are used in stereo, they are 16ohm then.

I would agree, a fatbottom cab is very punchy and a great cab. Another that most don't know about is the Framus Cobra cab, VERY punchy and tight cab. Also light weight like the VHT too.

Back