Box caps to fit Marshall ST1 board

screamindemon

Hey guys,
I’ve got a 2203 that I want to replace all caps on the board. It currently has the red box caps. This amp just sounds dull and boring tried everything else. Has new ARS filter caps, tubes and fresh bias.

Anyway could someone point me to good sounding replacement box caps that will fit the board ?
Thanks

What speakers? Mine is mostly red WIMA caps and it’ll cut your head off it’s so bright.

You want the MKP series not the MKS.

I tried the MKPs and I actually don’t like them. They do something really odd to the low end I really don’t find musical to my ears.

On the Grainger repro boards the box spacing is 10mm which is probably the same for an original st1 so you have a few options. Not sure about the big caps though. Agree on the MKP although I’ve used the MKS in certain spots with success.

I think you have a drifted resistor somewhere in the phase inverter or something else going on. I’ve never heard anyone describe a 2203 as dull and boring with red WIMA caps. Some of those xylene (sp?) caps in the later years sure, but never WIMAs.

What speakers? Mine is mostly red WIMA caps and it’ll cut your head off it’s so bright.

You want the MKP series not the MKS.

I tried the MKPs and I actually don’t like them. They do something really odd to the low end I really don’t find musical to my ears.
Green backs

When I un-modded my 2204, I replaced the caps with standard ones. Just bent the legs to match the board holds - done.

IMG_6159.jpeg

Back