Bridge pickup for Les Paul

motorboy1

What would you guys recommend for a medium/hot output bridge pickup for a les paul standard. I’m thinking 10 to 14k . Guitar currently has 500k pots and 50s style wiring. Has a 8.6 k paf style pickups which is great for 70’s stuff but I think I want to go hotter for 80s rock to 90s alternative. Don’t do drop tunings or chug stuff so what would you recommend ?

In that DC range I’d say a ‘70’s Bill Lawrence L100 or L90 (Cream L90XL if you want hotter) and no need to look further. Nothing else made in the last 30 years that I’ve tried in that DC range can rival those in sound or feel and they also work particularly well in Les Paul’s

Love my SD antiquities even with 80’s and 90’s music. Has clarity that a 10k+ pickup just doesn’t have(like the JB in my strat).

Depending on your rig, I’d just buy a clean boost and put it in front of the amp, or turn the gain up a number or two.

I like the standard Gibson pups dude. Especially for what your doing. Is it an epi or a copy? I have gotten killer results with BB's, 57's and the 500 and 498(?)....been awhile since I've owned an actual Gibby though. Aftermarket pups for me-anything scottosan recommends....love a custom 5 but never tried one in a les paul, and emg's with the 24V mod....that mod makes all the difference on them imo...

Contact this guy and tell him what you’ve told us. He’ll build it. https://www.gravelinpickups.com/

You’ve described exactly what I was looking for in a pickup. Mine’s around 13k, A5. Balanced. Just right amount of compression. Vocal. Love it. Have two. Have one in the bridge of my PRS CU24 and one in my Norlin LPC.

I have Tonenerd Whiskey in one of my Les Paul and love it. Its a little hotter than what your asking for, but its great.

Back