Cabinets with different speakers

HerbieBoogie

Has anyone here experimented with putting different speakers into the same cab? I was thinking about making a 2 speaker cab with 1 vintage 30 and 1 alnico blue.

It can be fun to experiment with. I used to have 2 Chinese V30s and 2 K100s in my first Bogner cab. I never loved it though. V30 mixed with G12T75 is really popular.

Mixing a V30 with an alnico blue is something I've never heard of. Those are quite different. Bear in mind that you still need to match impedance and your total power handling will be your lowest speaker's max times the number of speakers. In your case, 15 X 2 = 30 watts.

I have two V30s and two G12H30 70th Anniversaries in my Splawn 4X12 and it rocks. Also have Heritage G12H 55 Hz and 75 Hz in my Marshall BHW. The V30 on bottom and Greenback RI on top in a 4X12 is popular.

At one point I had 4 different speakers in my 4x12. It sounded great. But I always mic'd the greenback.

Speakers and cabinet size make more difference than just about any other factor in tone. Experiment.

sure, a lot of folks do. I only have one cab with mix and match speakers, a Splawn 4x12 that has 2 man o wars ans 2 guv'nors in an x pattern

Back