Cable question: Mogami 2524 or Belden 9778?

onlyrockrocks

Hey!

I'm a Evidence Audio guy through and through, but want some cheaper quality cable for live usage and to mix the Evidence cables in my studio up a little bit as well. Should be used primary for guitar, but also for bass etc..

Mogami 2524 somehow seems to be standard, but I remember an older post by Dave, in which he mentiones, that the Belden 9778 might be his all time favorite.

So, to Dave and all you others: Which way to go?

Thanks a lot!

For me absolutely belden 9778 or Belden 8412. 9778 is the fave though. This is over every cable I have ever tried. Now I also really like lava mini elc. I use this on boards and racks.

RACKSYSTEMS":3qsslkgd said:
For me absolutely belden 9778 or Belden 8412. 9778 is the fave though. This is over every cable I have ever tried. Now I also really like lava mini elc. I use this on boards and racks.

Thanks a lot for your reply Dave! Really appreciate this.

Have you tested the Monorail and Lyric HG as well? I really love them for their defined, natural, well balanced sound.

But - as I mentioned before - I just need some cheaper quality cable to mix things up a bit as well. So, the 9778 might be the right choice. Now I have to find a US store, who sells reasonable priced 9778 to Germany...

RACKSYSTEMS":3m2ubapz said:
Sorry I really don't like evidence cable at all. Try the belden see if you like it.

No problem... ;-) And yes, I'll try the Belden.

One very last question regarding the 9778. Have you ever tried a whole rig with it? I read somewhere, that it might be a little too dark sounding to do a whole rig or pedalboard with it and since it seems that I'd have to get a minimum of 700ft. (which is a lot for me) ordering from Europe, I'd be glad to know what you experienced...

Thanks a lot once again and have a great day!

RACKSYSTEMS":1ythid9u said:
Dave, Is there any sound or cosmetic difference between 9778 and 8412? Or is it just that 8412 has two conductors?
If using 8412 do you wire "semi-symmetric" or is that just waste of time?

8412 is a bit bigger and a bit fatter sounding. Yes I wire it semi-symmetric. Yes I have done whole rigs with it and I don't find it dark at all.

Dave, have you tried Belden 8413 as pedalboard cable? Looks like a miniature version of 8412. Do you have any experience of that cable as patch cable? Cant decide if I should go with Belden 8413 or Lava Mini ELC on my pedalboard.

Back