Calling Dokken Fan, Heaven Comes Down solo (pitch issues)

stefvorcide

I was tryin' to figure out the main solo of When Heaven Comes Down with my guitar teacher, and it was so weird.. . The first riff is easy, and sounds good when we played it by itself, but with the tune, not so much!! and the second riff it's like G#, B minor 3rd, F# E , G#, f#, E but I really can't get it. the chord movement sounds good, but still, not with the song..

Am I nuts or the Rythm under the solo is not tuned correctly, is it like a quarter step under (but not the lead?) ??? Was it on purpose or maybe it's the tape that was altered?

I know some people here uses a pitch shifter to get a bigger tone??
Or does anyone here have Perfect Pitch ?

I really don't understand what's goin on!!! :doh:

PS: GEORGES RULES even if he gives me headaches :rock:

stefvorcide":683468zg said:
I was tryin' to figure out the main solo of When Heaven Comes Down with my guitar teacher, and it was so weird.. . The first riff is easy, and sounds good when we played it by itself, but with the tune, not so much!! and the second riff it's like G#, B minor 3rd, F# E , G#, f#, E but I really can't get it. the chord movement sounds good, but still, not with the song..

Am I nuts or the Rythm under the solo is not tuned correctly, is it like a quarter step under (but not the lead?) ??? Was it on purpose or maybe it's the tape that was altered?

I know some people here uses a pitch shifter to get a bigger tone??
Or does anyone here have Perfect Pitch ?

I really don't understand what's goin on!!! :doh:

PS: GEORGES RULES even if he gives me headaches :rock:

Tuned down a half step...solo is E blues over g,e E...g.e,C thing. When it goes to the A power chord it'a A dorian.

As for the first riff that's just E power chord to E b5 tritone against the open E.

Thanks Ed,
but my guitar is in Eb, my guitar teacher's in E... and both doesn't sound good.
maybe it's my mp3 File ? :doh:

stefvorcide":2lzbswwc said:
Thanks Ed,
but my guitar is in Eb, my guitar teacher's in E... and both doesn't sound good.
maybe it's my mp3 File ? :doh:
send me the mp3

ed AT eddegenaro DOT com

I finaly got it !!!! it's really between E and Eb. -40hz (a quarter step down)

I tuned the tune down and it sounds good. I don't know about the other songs on this album.

stefvorcide":1dxh5fea said:
I finaly got it !!!! it's really between E and Eb. -40hz (a quarter step down)

I tuned the tune down and it sounds good. I don't know about the other songs on this album.

By the Gods! I thought I was crazy too! I have tried several times to tune to different olde Dokken songs, and was always re-tuning because it sounded off. I read in an in interview with him in 2008 he said this...and I quote...

St. James: (interviewer) But there was a question from one person who was trying to play with some of your tracks, and they said it seems like it’s off by ¼ step or something. Did you do anything funny like that?

Lynch: Some people are against Pro Tools, some against synthesizers. I’m against tuners.

St. James: Really? So you tuned by ear?

Lynch: I’m really lazy and I don’t want to tune; I just like to go, ‘Fuck it, I got an idea, I want to do it, let’s do it.’ And I end up with songs without a tuning to begin with and I have to match everything, which we have a hell of a time doing. We end up calibrating our tuners to what I originally played. It’s just a nightmare. I’ve got to stop doing that one of these days.

So, that pretty much explains that. I wish I had known that before I nearly tore my hair out trying to figure his stuff out. Still love George's stuff though. As far as I am concerned, he can tune any way he wants. :D

Back