Cameron modded JCM 800 - Tube question

ibenhad

JCM 800 Jose HG/LG mod 100watt head. Recommend for or against pulling 2 tubes for a little less volume? Anyone ever ask Mark his opinion? Also what about trying a pair of THD Yellow jackets in them? This thing has an awesome MV but it is F'ing loud. Just thought I would ask. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

P.S. I can just leave it alone too but wanted to see if I could just make it a little less LOUD.

I wouldn't. Theres not much difference anyway except you lose punch and low end. The amp need power amp distortion to sound best. Is there not diode clipping options. Mine has a 6 way rotary. Each setting drops volume some. The last setting drops the volume considerably and works for lower volume playing. The first setting rips your head off as soon as you crack the master but sounds killer.

glip22":3t7fryvs said:
I wouldn't. Theres not much difference anyway except you lose punch and low end. The amp need power amp distortion to sound best. Is there not diode clipping options. Mine has a 6 way rotary. Each setting drops volume some. The last setting drops the volume considerably and works for lower volume playing. The first setting rips your head off as soon as you crack the master but sounds killer.
Agreed. Two tubes don't equal half the volume.

Yeah I know that it would be no where near half the volume but 50 watters are usually my thing but I got this in 100 so thought I would try. It does have the 6 way but I wasn't sure what it does. Nor do I know what the push pull on the front HG side for treble and master I think do. I need to spend a few hours with this thing and really learn all these switches, push pulls and dials. Crazy amps these are. Like my Ecstasy Classic but less intuitive and less labeling.

Back