Can a failing rectifier tube in a Dual Rec cause issues when in diode mode?

Soundstorm

Just trying some basic trouble shooting here. I got my Multi Watt in a few days ago and I'm seriously loving it so far, but it suffered some shipping damage (bent transformer and one of the tubes came loose). I've been having an issue usually in the first 15 mins or so of turning the amp on where the sound kind of sputters out and then comes back. So I've been tube rolling with a couple of matched sets plus preamp tubes. I'm pretty sure all tubes were original to the amp (10 years old). The only tubes I don't have on hand are the rectifier tubes. I would imagine they wouldn't cause any issues if they are failing and I'm in diode mode in all three channels but I just wanted to be sure.

Also FYI insurance claim is under way.

I wouldn't run it in diode mode right now. I mean, does the sputting or whatever happen in silicone mode? But if it was damaged in shipping, the sputtering could be anything and you've already swapped the power tubes. I wouldn't give anyone any reason to blame you for any (further) damage.

I just read an article about this as I just got a Dual Rec too. I'll see if I can find it. Probably from the boogie boards on grailtone.com

Back