Can a Splawn Nitro hang with a Herbert? Can anything for $1k

MR MARCUS

I just bought a Herbert and shouldn’t have. The wifey will not be happy when she discovers this one? Unfortunately I may have to let it go. I just love the massive tight low end of the Herbert. It is to me the king amp. My other amps just can’t touch it. Is there an amp out there for $1k or less that can do the massive low end brutality similar to the Herbert? Nitro, VHT/Fryette....?

Fryette definitely can, especially with a boost.
Framus Cobra can be scored for that price, with correct bias and tubes it’s hard to beat

Edit: just saw your Framus Cobra in the sig lol

I’d try a fryette deliverance 120, huge punishing low end

Not in my opinion. Herb is king!

But you could get a sub,and all your amps will have massive low end. May not be as tight,but whatever...

Zachalou":1gp45put said:
Framus Cobra can be scored for that price, with correct bias and tubes it’s hard to beat

I need to edit my sig. I sold the Cobra and added a 6505+. A SigX just sold for $1000 on Reverb recently. There is a Nitro in Jacksonville for $1050.

Was about to say cobra or dragon. Most low end I’ve ever seen in an amp. If you’re into heavy, I prefer a nitro, Evh, or recto to a herb. Don’t hate any of them, but find all the low end unusable.

The Nitro is a bad ass amp period. I've played both, but not side by side. The Nitro from what I remember is more my thing.

Just keep the Herbert and take the wife out to dinner. You have it might as well keep it. She'll get over it.... :doh:

I've owned the Herbert MKI and will probably own another someday because of its low end and the sag factor of the gain structure.

Now having said that, I recently picked up a Splawn QR drop B+, and I think the low end is every bit as deep and thumping as the Herbert; its MASSIVE with those really deep sub-low frequencies that hit you in the same way the Herbert's do IMO.

The D60 I have also has a ridiculously deep punchy low end. Bass response is IMMENSE with this amp as well.

rottingcorpse":838ftvkd said:
Not in my opinion. Herb is king!

But you could get a sub,and all your amps will have massive low end. May not be as tight,but whatever...

Or add a VFE Standout to that sub. I just got a Standout and it has blown me away. Maxon OD808 may finally be dethroned. You literally can decide precisely the level of tightness you desire.

Zachalou":1ut07zmd said:

No boost needed on an UL. I own a Herbert and UL and I’d say the UL wins!

Herbert is king of low end. Period.

BUT I’d love to try an Egnater Armageddon for sub $1000 price tag.

I gotta say Herbert is a UNIQUE beast.
My Splawn's are excellent amps, LOVE them, yet they are not sub $1K.

You're literally comparing things to a $4K Diezel. Apples to oranges my friend.
Herbert was my first Diezel and I will have it as long as I play.
Not just for the low end, it is amazingly versatile as well, IMO.

I say do what you can to keep it.
YMMV, yet better to ask for forgiveness than permission :LOL: :LOL:

I'm confused... Why are you not just telling her the Herbert cost $1K? Problem solved.

Metlupass2":1sk2tlw7 said:
What's the average price of a used Herbert?

People ask for more, but a used Mk1 is selling for $2k or less these days. Mk2 maybe $2,300. A little more if you buy a used one from a retailer. I just bought a brand new herbert and 412 FL cab from MF for less than I paid for the first herbert I bought in 2006 :LOL: :LOL:

mhenson42":y1ydu8cy said:
Metlupass2":y1ydu8cy said:
What's the average price of a used Herbert?

People ask for more, but a used Mk1 is selling for $2k or less these days. Mk2 maybe $2,300. A little more if you buy a used one from a retailer. I just bought a brand new herbert and 412 FL cab from MF for less than I paid for the first herbert I bought in 2006 :LOL: :LOL:

WOW!!!!!! Nice deal there :thumbsup:

Back