Can you guys help out deciding?

I'm in a tough spot. I love the Mod50 head. I got to play one today with the SL2 and MHG modules and it rocked. The thing is I can't decide wether I want to go poweramp/M4 or the Mod50 head.

I hear from some that the Mod50 head and tube heads in general sound better than poweramp/preamp racks and then I hear that the tone from a rack can't be beaten. :doh: Like I said, I tried the Mod50 today and it was exellent and I loved that you can cut the power down on it to play at bedroom levels. I haven't heard ANYTHING from the M4, no clips or anything so I don't know what to expect and I need to decide quick by Tue before I order. I don't want to regret getting the M4 if it doesn't sound like the Mod50 head. Thing is I have a VHT 2/90/2 that I can use from a friend and pair with the M4 but no experience as to the tone or sound in person as I've never played thru a rack setup.

Once and for all will the M4 paired with the VHT sound like the Mod50 head all things being equal, same modules, same cab etc? I was told that it would sound better by one person.

They are both great! As usual a rack has a certain feel to it just like a head does. That being said...Frank and Bruce usually tell clients to go with a 2/50/2 or 2/90/2 with the M4....I would prefer the head to the rack just because of the 50 to 10 watt option and it just looks great!

Well, a few years ago I tried an M4 with a VHT 2/50/2 (during the era of single channel modules) and then I tried a MOD 50 later. I ended up buying a MOD 50.

The M4 with single channel modules sounded great, no doubt. But there is something magical about the power section of the MOD 50. Maybe its the ultra high quality Heyboer trannys? Maybe its just the fact that you have a single unit that is hand-built from start to finish by the designer, giving them full control of their tone vision? Whatever it is, the MOD 50 had a little bit of a mojo that I didnt get from the M4.

Either way you win though. I guess it really comes down to: are you a rack guy or not? I dont use a rack so for me it was easy.

-Matt

I have an RM4, so my opinion may be slightly tainted... but I love being able to switch power tubes with the RT2/50 power amp.

Pete

I have both the M4 RT2/50 and the MOD 50and they both do sound different and great, the rack is big heavy and the MOD is not!I would say Lbs. for Lbs. the MOD is the way togo....My two cents

:|::QBB:
jmgman69":6d76e said:
I have both the M4 RT2/50 and the MOD 50and they both do sound different and great, the rack is big heavy and the MOD is not!I would say Lbs. for Lbs. the MOD is the way togo....My two cents

Yeah, the rack is heavy enough that I actually dread carrying it downstairs... but the flexibility is addictive. I have tried KT88s, 6L6s, EL34s, E34Ls, and EL84s (with yellowjackets) in mine and everything sounds good. Having said that, if I could I"d get a mod50 for extra tones and such. I have an RM100, and it's awesome, but super heavy too.

I'm still amazed though that nobody thought of doing a power amp like this before... Bruce has some amazing ideas. I've used this rig at 5 gigs now, and I can almost see the guitarists in the audience looking at my rack and saying "solid state randall" then they come up between sets freaking out about how good it sounds. :)

Pete

Thanks for all the info and advice guys. :thumbsup:

I'll go with the Mod50 this time and next year I'll probably go the rack route.

Only one thing that puzzles me when I tried the Mod50 the other day..I compared it to my Mesa Roadster and for some reason (maybe it was all in my head) the Roadster has a sustain not found in other amps not even the great Soldano Avenger. Has anyone noticed this with the Egnater Mod50? I still love the thing even though I don't own one but hopefully soon and if the store in town can get a Mod50 soon enough. I hate waiting for things more than 2 weeks. :doh:

Thanks again for all the help.

tubesteakfortone":7a9f9 said:
They are both great! As usual a rack has a certain feel to it just like a head does. That being said...Frank and Bruce usually tell clients to go with a 2/50/2 or 2/90/2 with the M4....I would prefer the head to the rack just because of the 50 to 10 watt option and it just looks great!

I agree 100%. Every time I try the rack route..I come back to a head. To me heads have something more natural and organic in the feel and tone. I can't explain why, but I always notice that aspect.

FriedChickenBandit, you actually have a store that will be stocking the MOD50? I thoguht they were special order online only.

So, you noticed more sustain with the Road King? How about tone? Where did you play the MOD50? Friend's house?

I must be honest, one thought I had was to buy a Mesa Roadster and a Marshall JVM and be done with the tone quest for a while. Hehehe

richedie":a3fe6 said:

I agree 100%. Every time I try the rack route..I come back to a head. To me heads have something more natural and organic in the feel and tone. I can't explain why, but I always notice that aspect.

FriedChickenBandit, you actually have a store that will be stocking the MOD50? I thoguht they were special order online only.

So, you noticed more sustain with the Road King? How about tone? Where did you play the MOD50? Friend's house?

I must be honest, one thought I had was to buy a Mesa Roadster and a Marshall JVM and be done with the tone quest for a while. Hehehe

It's a Roadster and it sounds incredible ONCE you find how to set it for you. Mesas are so damn difficult to get just right because their Bass, Treble and Gain controls are like no other amps. If you try one use channel 3 on Vintage, channel 4 has TOO much gain. Channel 3 Vintage gives me a butter smooth but dark tone that has to be heard. Think Yngwie with more sustain and thickness.

The store I played it has a Mod50 head but I don't know if they're stocking them. I was told they're getting 2 more on order.

I want one really bad but the longer I don't have it the more the Roadster grows on me and the more I learn it. I noticed something missing from the Egnater and will try it again today with a friend so I can get to the bottom of this. I'll report back later.

Great, let us know what you find! The Egnater is top on my list and I heard from a few owners that it is the thickest and smoothest amp going right now. What modules do they have for you to test??? MHG? E-Rect?

Roadster and JVM were also on my list with the H&K Triamp.

What is in your Roadster? 6L6s?

Don't forget, let us know how the MOD vs Roadster goes? I am on the fence with that and also a Triamp MKII. I think the MOD and Roadster would have more character. Triamps are awesome but may not have the distinct and inspiring voice of a Boogie or Marshall or even the MOD50 I am sure.
Nice thing with the Triamp is it can have the bottom girth of the Mesa and the midrange clarity of the Marshall.

However, I heard Bruce's incarnations are like the best Marshall, Mesa, Fender, etc!

Heck, I could get the MOD and always sell if it doesn't work out.

Back