Captor X 8 ohm with 16 ohm cab

richaxes

Might have been asked before but I'm looking for a conclusive answer as the manual doesn't explicitly state this.

My Friedman Runt 50's 8 ohm out -> my Captor X's 8 ohm in. ✔️
Volume Level (attenuation) set to mid or low on Captor (head sees the 8 ohm load provided by the Captor). ✔️
16 ohm cab plugged into the Captor's speaker output ONLY when Volume Level is set to mid or low to avoid mismatch ❓- it this safe or can I hurt the Captor with this?

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Hello @richaxes
in the setup:
"16 ohm cab plugged into the Captor's speaker output ONLY when Volume Level is set to mid or low to avoid mismatch ❓- it this safe or can I hurt the Captor with this?"
Your amp is perfectly safe, as well as the Captor X. The impedance of the cabinet does not matter in when the VOLUME LEVEL switch is on LOW or middle position.

Hello @richaxes
in the setup:
"16 ohm cab plugged into the Captor's speaker output ONLY when Volume Level is set to mid or low to avoid mismatch ❓- it this safe or can I hurt the Captor with this?"
Your amp is perfectly safe, as well as the Captor X. The impedance of the cabinet does not matter in when the VOLUME LEVEL switch is on LOW or middle position.
Thank you. If I may ask - why? Is the Captor X specifically designed to take any impedance cab in this scenario?

Hello @richaxes .

When the attenuator is engaged, the internal design of the Captor X makes the amp only see the impedance of the load box, regardless of the impedance of the cabinet connected to the SPEAKER OUT of the Captor X.

Back