Cavity Back .308 Projectiles

JTyson

Look very promising, we have a hog problem that I'm going to address again. Been running Barnes TSX triple shock blue tips, but these Cavity Back black tips are Match grade 168g, so my data for long shots won't change much. Gonna try 50 rds and see what happens. The Barnes blue tips have been solid, but these appear to have better expansion and retention on impact. Any of you guys that roll your own and hunt should
CB-MKZ-T-7.62-168-8T.jpg
CB-MKZ-T-7.62-168-3T.jpg

check these out for anything with lungs up to a elk...

Last edited:
My longest kill shot on a white tail was 70 yards and that's over double my usual shot length so I can't justify match ammo. I could've jumped on a deer from my porch this morning, that's how close up they get. Do you shoot a deer when it's 25 feet away? I guess but my game hoist is further away than that. I quit reloading necked stuff because the case prep is a headache otherwise I would definitely keep those in mind.

Yeah, I haven't hunted for 20 years, but I do shoot a lot. This is more or less pest control, they destroy everything in sight and are an invasive species where I live. We've had to go get them several times. It was a great excuse to mount a thermal AGM on my AR10. They cannot hide from thermal night vision. My longest shot on our land is just under 470 yards, so its a cakewalk with that Patriot Ordinance Factory AR. :D :D
IMG_2920.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I haven't hunted for 20 years, but I do shoot a lot. This is more or less pest control, they destroy everything in sight and are an invasive species where I live. We've had to go get them several times. It was a great excuse to mount a thermal AGM on my AR10. They cannot hide from thermal night vision. My longest shot on our land is just under 470 yards, so its a cakewalk with that Patriot Ordinance Factory AR10 :D :D
Yeah i just use x39 for most everything. Stocked it deep when it was cheap. I want to thump a couple squealers to fill my freezer with one of these days but I don't have the wherewithal to stay up till 3 a.m to do it. I usually shoot the deer before 10am so I can get them cleaned up completely by four or five o clock. Wish I could afford some thermal or other night vision stuff. I just corn bait everything about 25 yards off the porch and wait for my victims to arrive. I'd probably have to cap my light with red for hogs and hope it had enough throw to light up the corn pile when I thought I had customers.

They look long, is length the same/similiar to the average 168 grain match bullet?
Not the c.o.l., just the projectile I mean.

They look long, is length the same/similiar to the average 168 grain match bullet?
Not the c.o.l., just the projectile I mean.
It is indeed longer, but the extended section at the rear of the bullet is hollow, so its far different as far as pressure in the chamber than if it was solid. The added length seems to be a plus as far as the BC (G1) so it seems to be a plus, at least on paper, Ive not shot any yet so I have no real world data, but several heavy hitters in the industry who use them swear by them. Im sure the powder loads will have to be tested to get the final data nailed down, but it won't be the same as a compressed load in the same brass/powder charge.
We'll see :D
If its more effective and accurate than a Barnes TSX triple shock, which is the most lethal hunting bullet Ive ever seen, than I'm interested.

Yeah, I haven't hunted for 20 years, but I do shoot a lot. This is more or less pest control, they destroy everything in sight and are an invasive species where I live. We've had to go get them several times. It was a great excuse to mount a thermal AGM on my AR10. They cannot hide from thermal night vision. My longest shot on our land is just under 470 yards, so its a cakewalk with that Patriot Ordinance Factory AR. :D :DView attachment 263964
Great looking setup brother. If I could go back knowing what I know now I would've went AR all the way but I got too heavily invested elsewhere at a time when it was the cheaper pathway.

When money was no object I really liked FALs for an all around do everything rifle. Had a 18" para but I let it go. Let a lot of stuff go and just cut down to the bare essentials. My best friend is an FFL so I have had to turn down many $40 AR receivers cause I knew I'd have 2k into the rifle and mags when it was done, lol.

These days I think I'd just like to get a nice precision bolt with a heavy barrel and bipod. There are a lot of nice lower cost rifles fitting that bill out there now. I just hate to go back to 308 when I dumped everything in that caliber once already so what caliber? I have .243 stuff but I don't really like the caliber that much. Maybe like a 350 or 400 legend in a Savage would serve me good inside 100 yards but truthfully I haven't researched those calibers at all.

350 Legend is a mauler for 200 yds then starts to drop off and loose velocity rapidly, but its a killer 200 yd/brush gun. Seems perfect for your scenario. The AR's are a great platform for a lot of things, especially hog hunting at night, but I still prefer a bolt drive for long distance shooting.
The AR10 will do long distance, but it requires more out of you to land shots past 800 as far as staying on top of the fundamentals. You can be lazier with a bolt gun and still land the shots.
My distance gun is a heavily modified Ruger RPR in 308. It was not very expensive, but the earliest versions had some kinks to work out. Once I got past all that its been a solid shooter out to 1200 yds. Im not under any delusion that the 308 is better than a few other choices, but I'll get 10,000 ads out of a good barrel on it vs 2500-3000 rds out of a 6mm Dasher, 6BR or 6.5 Creedmoore barrel. 3000 rds is a good year for us and my shooting partners will have to re-barrel their guns every year, so Im sticking with the 308's. :LOL:
I have several of them, so I'm really too vested in them to jump ship now

Oh nice!
Yeah, I'd rather see them enjoying life too. We have a dozen or so out there but Ive never shot one. Those dam Hoggs will eat anything we put out for them. So they must die of course. :D They have also destroyed a side bank of a creek that runs through our place and its washing it into the creek, not to mention acres of land..
Its coming though, I just loaded up some 2760 fps 168g .308 hate to send their way..

Last edited:
Yeah, I haven't hunted for 20 years, but I do shoot a lot. This is more or less pest control, they destroy everything in sight and are an invasive species where I live. We've had to go get them several times. It was a great excuse to mount a thermal AGM on my AR10. They cannot hide from thermal night vision. My longest shot on our land is just under 470 yards, so its a cakewalk with that Patriot Ordinance Factory AR. :D :DView attachment 263964
I dig your Carvin workbench.

Back