CCV and G12-65

FourT6and2

I keep reading that the CCV sounds the best thru G12H-30s. lol but I don't have any. I use G12-65s in my 4x12. I also have some V30s and Greenbacks laying around somewhere. But I've mostly been using the 65s. Anybody have experience with 'em and the CCV?

From what I've heard it's not they sound best with that speaker but that the H30 was the speaker than Cameron liked best for 'his' tone. YMMV.

I have a Celestion Vintage 30/GB RI combo in a 4x12 that I have tried with the CCV. I do not personally recommend that combo with the CCV, mostly due to the Vinage 30's not being a good "match" with the CCV. I have put mine through a few different speakers. It sounds good with the Celestion G12H30(70th Anniv.), G12H30 (55c/s) Heritage, Lead 80', and G12M Heritage "20 watts". The last arguably being my least favorite of those mentioned. The CCV was voiced around the G12H30 (70thAnniv) speaker. Have not tried it with the G12H30 (75c/s) Heritage yet. I just got in a Marshall vintage 70's with Blackbacks, but have yet to try it with my CCV. Try the Celstion G12-65's in there. Mark told me some time ago that that speaker is another one that sounds pretty good with the CCV. I have not gotten around to putting the G12-65's through its paces with the CCV yet.

Ok, cool. Well i guess I'll find out when the amp gets here. :) The 65s are smoother and darker than GBs. But they will handle more power and stay tighter. So that's a plus. But I heard the CCV is a dark, smooth amp (which is weird because Cameron is always associated with pissed off, angry tones).

FourT6and2":2qy541va said:
Ok, cool. Well i guess I'll find out when the amp gets here. :) The 65s are smoother and darker than GBs. But they will handle more power and stay tighter. So that's a plus. But I heard the CCV is a dark, smooth amp (which is weird because Cameron is always associated with pissed off, angry tones).

I am a recent CCV owner and so far I have found that the CCV can be dark or bright.

pickup choice and guitar can make a big difference to how the amp sounds as well as the speaker choice it just depends on how you dial it in and what guitar and pickups and speaker combination you use and for myself I feel that this is a good thing

With the right or wrong combination of speaker and guitar and pickup the CCV can be bright enough to make your eyeballs explode..

so far I have tried BKP cold sweat in my lp custom with the CCV with creamback G12m25 75HZ speakers and that made CCV sound really bright and a bit scooped but it still produced some killer tones...
I then tried BKP rebell yell in my lp custom with pre rola G12m25 75 HZ which made the CCV sound much much fatter and smoother, very nice indeed...
I also tried a suhr aldrich in my lp custom with the ccv with both the creamback and the prerola greenback and I disliked the aldrich greenback combination it sounds too muddy
and the aldrich sounded ok ish with the creambacks.

The ccv is capable of some extreme sounds and a lot of stuff inbetween
I also tried my gibson custom shop R8 with the CCV and I hated the sound of that through the CCV and yet I love the sound of my LP custom through it
I definitely think the CCV is quite sensitive in how it responds to what is used with it which is definitely a strong point of the amp

preamp tubes can also make a big difference to how the ccv sounds and where the bias is set will also make a difference to how the CCV sounds and how it feels
they are great amps and I bet you will love it ....

Well my setup is:

LP Custom with BKP Holy Divers
LP Custom with stock Tim Shaws (I also have BKP Black Dogs on the way)
Bogner 4x12 with 1980's G12-65s (I also have some reissue G12M-25 (75Hz) and Mesa V30s laying around)

But right now, I'm sticking with G12-65s as that is what I use with my Diezel and Chupacabra. Pickups aren't going anywhere either as I love how my gear combo sounds through my other amps and whatnot. And I'm not going to start swapping speakers and pickups to suit the CCV because my Diezel and Chupa are my main amps. So I guess I'll see how it goes.

As far as tubes go, I'll be using SED =C= EL34s and for now all I have for preamp tubes are whatever comes in the CCV and I also have some Ruby Chinese 9th gen. 12AX7AC5 HG+. I have three of those. So I guess I can put them in V2, V3 and V5.

I've read that the CCV likes to be biased super hot. Like over 100% plate dissipation. But Dave Friedman told me it would be best not to go over 40mA.

Back