CCV Bias why so high?

IMO and one others there are two possible reasons you can throw the 70% rule out the window with the CCV and do as Mark reccommends. One the PT is designed with a lower impedance across the primaries. Not sure of all the specifics on that. The other is that the amp has been designed with lower screen current than one would expect. With higher plate voltage, the screen grid voltage can be decreased, allowing slightly larger AC voltage on the plate without excessive screen grid current. This again leads to improved tube efficiency (at a higher load impedance) so you can set the bias much higher than you would think. Maybe the screen resistors are larger. A power tube failing is usually at the screens not the plates. It would be great to know the actual average screen current in the CCV. It seems from what has been posted the plate voltage is at or near 550 give or take. Biasing this amp past 70% would be asking for trouble if the screen current was average to the plate voltage as is the case with most amps. I am banking on this scenario. There has to be a reason or tubes would already have failed. The tubes are not even getting hot and glowing much with the amp dimed. The question is how high can one bias the amp without risking damage if a tube fails and arcs. Arcs are not fun. I took out two output transformers when my fuse (correctly rated) did not do it's job.

Thanks Gary for the expert analysis.
Based on your comments I will keep mine low and err on the side of caution.

rokker":8amyekga said:
Thanks Gary for the expert analysis.
Based on your comments I will keep mine low and err on the side of caution.
I'm no expert :LOL: :LOL: I don't think you have to bias lower. Turn the lights out and watch the tubes as you play with high volume. You will notice the tubes glow quite a bit more as you turn the volume up. This is the screens taking the higher current. You will probably not see a huge difference with the Cammeron. Bias up higher and check again. Believe me it's easy to tell when your screens are possibly getting pushed. Check it out.

I dropped some SED's in mine after practice last night. Biased them up to 46-48. Spent a few hours getting it set up today. Going to gig with it this weekend, by itself too. I didn't want to run them up too high. Will mess with it next week and tune them SED's up a bit higher. If those JJ's don't screen out at 50mA on high, these SED's damn sure won't.

Running a Tremonti wah and a Rockbox up front and a Timefactor in the loop. MIDI control is set up with the Midi Mouse. My pedalboard is looking pretty simple and lonely these days with a single head set-up :D. Dragging 2-Bogner 412's with Scums in it. Sounds phenomenal.

Steve

Anyone know if his modded Marshalls can run or should be set that high? Wondering if I am biasing mine too low for optimal tone :confused:

The Cameron Jose I had was biased high for what that is worth.

Glad you are liking yours Steve...I'm loving the CCV too....just has a massive sonic footprint.

rokker":1rj9nanj said:
The Cameron Jose I had was biased high for what that is worth.

Glad you are liking yours Steve...I'm loving the CCV too....just has a massive sonic footprint.

Ever been kicked by a mule? Similar outcome.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Anyone put some JJ KT77's in it? :)

Don't mean to harp, but I've got the toanz sickness bad and need a form to put it to. If it's gotta be a CCV, then so be it.

Nigel":1gevvfm3 said:
Anyone put some JJ KT77's in it? :)

Don't mean to harp, but I've got the toanz sickness bad and need a form to put it to. If it's gotta be a CCV, then so be it.
I love the Gold Lion KT77. Did not like them better than The Winged C EL34 in the CCV. I have tried them in other Cameron amps and again same thing. Winged C all the way.Get yourself an old Tesla Rosnov 32 code e83cc for V1, chinese in V2, and a new Gold Lion balanced 12ax7 in the PI is nice. Neither did Steve K.

glip22":3733sgz4 said:
Get yourself an old Tesla Rosnov 32 code e83cc for V1, chinese in V2, and a new Gold Lion balanced 12ax7 in the PI is nice. Neither did Steve K.

Word. I like 17mm blackburn Mullard 12AX7's. Long plate junkie over here. :rock:

Back