CCV & Marshall 4x12 w/75's ???

SLOgriff

I cant afford to keep buying and selling various cabs anymore....

I need a second 4x12. Would a standard Marshall 1960b cab with 75's sound good with the new CCV's?? :confused:

Thanks,
Bryan

This isn't really answering your questions, but I've tried Vintage 30's, G12K-100's, G12H30's, Scumback M75's.

And combinations of V30/G12k-100, G12H30/V30 in 2x12 cabs. I couldnt try a M75/G12H30 combination which I bet would sound great.

But my favorite so far has been the G12H30/V30 combination.

I know MArk doesn't care for Vintage 30's but my CCV sounded great through my Uberkab FL. I tried Scumbacks and various other speakers and a nicely broken in Uberkab was the best.

glip22":31qh3lzc said:
I know MArk doesn't care for Vintage 30's but my CCV sounded great through my Uberkab FL. I tried Scumbacks and various other speakers and a nicely broken in Uberkab was the best.

interesting, Steve_K told me the opposite. Said front load cabs did not mesh well with the CCV. I might just go ahead and buy a standard Marshall 1960B and swap speakers later on.

...or maybe the 1960BX cab with greenbacks.

SLOgriff":3g66791c said:
glip22":3g66791c said:

interesting, Steve_K told me the opposite. Said front load cabs did not mesh well with the CCV. I might just go ahead and buy a standard Marshall 1960B and swap speakers later on.

Steve doesn't know shit :hys:

I use rear loaded UberKabs loaded with M75 / H75 in X pattern with my CCV, sounds great to me.

Brad is blowing out the rear loaded german Diezel cabs at a great price, grab one of those instead of looking for a RL Uber for months, since they are getting harder to find. Get the RL Diezel from Brad, sell the V30's out of it to offset the cost of other speakers, and you will basically be spending the same amount of money.

The CCV sounds great through anything, but having experimented with different speakers in several cabs, go with a Bogner or Diezel cab. Unless you can find an OLD Marshall cab that was built to different specs, I do not think you would be happier with Marshall over Bogner or Diezel.

glip22":2vaek0ke said:
SLOgriff":2vaek0ke said:
glip22":2vaek0ke said:

Steve doesn't know shit :hys:

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

See, I am not the only one that thinks I don't know shit :D

The CCV will sound like ass through the 75's or a front loaded cab. It needs no help in staying tight or projecting, which is where the FL comes into play. It may be too much of a good thing in the FL.

Stick with Greenbacks of the M or H variety, either Celestion or Scumbacks. I have tried both and I think I prefer the M's over the H30's for the CCV. Mark always liked the H30's. Sort of depends on where you like your mids to ride, but the amp can adjust through either. I will say that if you are going to invest in either speaker, go with the new Scumback Blackbacks. With the BM75 or BH75, you won't go wrong.

See, I do know some shit..... :rock:

G12M's were always my favorite but that was with og ccv's...I didn't keep the production ccv long enough to be of any help there.

The best i have heard any CCV through for me is my Marshall cab with 2 celestion 75's and 2 80's paired together in an x pattern...Sounds wicked....I just bought 2 h30's for my other cab and paired them up with 2 greenbacks sounds ok but not as good as my other cab....The greenies will be coming out and there will be 2 80's paired with the 2 h30's should be a good match....

splawner":384loxby said:
The best i have heard any CCV through for me is my Marshall cab with 2 celestion 75's and 2 80's paired together in an x pattern...Sounds wicked....I just bought 2 h30's for my other cab and paired them up with 2 greenbacks sounds ok but not as good as my other cab....The greenies will be coming out and there will be 2 80's paired with the 2 h30's should be a good match....

Yeah, there's a couple guys here who swear by the 80's series. Todd is always gushing over the 65's.

You just got to try them out and see what is good to your ear. What works for one guy may sounds like a sack of ass to the next. To me, it comes down to how a particular speaker handles the mid-voicing of the amp and their interaction. Bottom end and articulation controlled more by the cab design.

That's my theory and I am sticking with it. :thumbsup:

Steve

steve_k":3evnr7lr said:
splawner":3evnr7lr said:

Yeah, there's a couple guys here who swear by the 80's series. Todd is always gushing over the 65's.

You just got to try them out and see what is good to your ear. What works for one guy may sounds like a sack of ass to the next. To me, it comes down to how a particular speaker handles the mid-voicing of the amp and their interaction. Bottom end and articulation controlled more by the cab design.

That's my theory and I am sticking with it. :thumbsup:

Steve
Yep, When i dropped the 2 80's in the cab it really made a big difference for me...I was also thinking of dropping 2 65's along with the h30's also...It will either be the 80's or 65's for sure....For me the h30 sound good but i can't imagine having 4 of them in a cab just a bit to bright with no bottom thump...Just my opinion...

I've used my CCV through my 1960A and my 1960B at different times. These particular 1960's are both loaded with British G12T-75's. I know others feel differently, but I actually quite like the tones I can get with the CCV through the standard Marshall cabs.

I also have a JCM 800 1960 loaded with Celestion 65's. The CCV sounds great through that cab as well.

As for V30's?.......The CCV also sounds great through my Cameron 2x12" prototype cab which is loaded with V30's.

With an amp as good as the CCV and with the tonal range it has, I'm of the mindset that you can pretty much make it sound killer with any cab/speaker configuration. You just have to dial it in a little differently based on the particular cab you are using.

Bottom line?.....I don't think you should write off the standard Marshall 1960's without having given them a spin. As Steve said above (and I am paraphrasing here:) different strokes for different folks.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

:rawk:

Yeah, the amps would sound good through a 5 gallon bucket. You just got to experiment if you are curious. I wouldn't pretend to say one is better over the other, when it comes to speakers. With the CCV though, it comes down to how the speaker is mid voiced that makes the difference and how you perceive the projected sonic palette and the bottom end you need to get out of it. I stick pretty close to some form of Greenback or Blackback in the end on every amp I own though.

Steve

The mids comment is definitely spot on. And as we will all probably agree, the biggest difference in tonal preference across players is the voicing of the mids.

It might be worth pointing out that I believe Steve and I play different styles of music (the majority of the time). I believe Steve is more of a metal dude (correct me if I am wrong), whereas I am more of a hard/alternative/classic/blues rock guy. I don't play much of the "heavy stuff" anymore. That difference alone could make our speaker preferences with the CCV quite different.

Well, I found a used Marshall 1960B this weekend at a local shop. Looks new from 5 feet away and paid $450 otd for it. It's a JCM900 lead with the original 75's. The cab is in excellent shape and feel I got a great deal on it! My SLO sounds pretty good thru it as well.... Now I guess I'll have to do some speaker swappin' if my CCV ever gets here!!?? :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for the suggestions guys! :thumbsup:

rlord1974":m02pm2b4 said:
The mids comment is definitely spot on. And as we will all probably agree, the biggest difference in tonal preference across players is the voicing of the mids.

It might be worth pointing out that I believe Steve and I play different styles of music (the majority of the time). I believe Steve is more of a metal dude (correct me if I am wrong), whereas I am more of a hard/alternative/classic/blues rock guy. I don't play much of the "heavy stuff" anymore. That difference alone could make our speaker preferences with the CCV quite different.

I'm NOT a metal player. I'm more of a modern rock guy who favors "Lynch-esq" tones. Love 70's, 80's & 90's and stuff like Dream Theater, Steve Stevens etc.

SLOgriff":2io9zknl said:
rlord1974":2io9zknl said:

I'm NOT a metal player. I'm more of a modern rock guy who favors "Lynch-esq" tones. Love 70's, 80's & 90's and stuff like Dream Theater, Steve Stevens etc.
I've been noticing lately that I'm getting that cool, clear, accurate pick attack sound with the quickly executed 32nd note runs (ala Petrucci) with my setup. You know that whirling sound that he gets when the fingers are flying? It's probably the best, cleanest, and tightest, yet saturated sound I've ever gotten from a rig setup. I'm doing the v30/h30 thing.

Back