V4 - Input Clean
V5 - Phase Inverter

My current set up is:

V1 - NOS RFT
V2 - Ruby HG+
V3 - Ruby HG+
V4 - GT R3
V5 - Sovtek LPS

And, of course, SED Winged C's biased around 48mA.

(Tone and feel) Comparing to the SLO, what should I expect when I finally receive the "coveted" 2nd-Run CCV?!? ;) Would you say more aggressive and meaner than?

Thanks,
Bryan

SLOgriff":27ew68ie said:
(Tone and feel) Comparing to the SLO, what should I expect when I finally receive the "coveted" 2nd-Run CCV?!? ;) Would you say more aggressive and meaner than?

Thanks,
Bryan

The CCV has several voicing options, depending on how you set the style switches and drive. In full-on, Jose assault mode, it is incredible. It will be more well rounded, thicker and definitely more bottom end than you are used to with the SLO, even the modded one. One trait it will have in common is that no matter how much gain you throw at it, the attack will hold together and be tight and articulate up top. I will go on to say this, those ARS/Tesla tubes don't do the amp justice. Good tubes, just not for this amp. You are also going to need to run it through something other than the front loaded SLO cabs with the Eminence speakers. I am running mine through the Bogner Ubercabs with 25 watt Scumbacks and I think I found their bottom end limit. I expect one of them to spit a coil out soon. Waiting on my Cameron cabs to show up.

Steve

Well I have a newer FL Ubercab collecting dust right now....contemplating speaker changes. Are Front Loaded cabs NOT a good match for the CCV?

SLOgriff":10vaglkt said:
Well I have a newer FL Ubercab collecting dust right now....contemplating speaker changes. Are Front Loaded cabs NOT a good match for the CCV?

The certainly wouldn't be my first choice. FL cabs usually project for amps that need a little help in the mids and on top. The CCV needs no help there. I think you will have trouble dialing them out. You will find that the EQ controls pretty much operate in their on domain and are independent of each other, as opposed to them being more interactive on the SLO. I think you will lose some of the amp in an FL cab. Of course, this is my opinion, and that don't mean shit. I've got a Bogner FL out there, and will check it out for you.

Steve

steve_k":wb9gcp6s said:
SLOgriff":wb9gcp6s said:

The certainly wouldn't be my first choice. FL cabs usually project for amps that need a little help in the mids and on top. The CCV needs no help there. I think you will have trouble dialing them out. You will find that the EQ controls pretty much operate in their on domain and are independent of each other, as opposed to them being more interactive on the SLO. I think you will lose some of the amp in an FL cab. Of course, this is my opinion, and that don't mean shit. I've got a Bogner FL out there, and will check it out for you.

Steve

Thanks brother! Might have to move the Ubercab for something else. How about a Marshall 1960BX with greenbacks?

SLOgriff":296tlutu said:
steve_k":296tlutu said:
SLOgriff":296tlutu said:

Steve

Thanks brother! Might have to move the Ubercab for something else. How about a Marshall 1960BX with greenbacks?

Perfect choice.....and for the long haul, the best choice over any front load, for the CCV.

Steve

psychodave":2t1pbaxk said:
Has anyone tried using a brighter tube for V4... input clean? I always have the treble on channel 1 set really high (around 3 o'clock) and was considering something like a GE 12AX7. I have several high gain Westinghouse GE long plates I may try...

I'm using a C8 right now. ;)

Throw one of your EI's in there.

I am running an EI in V1 and GT C8's in 2, 3, an NOS RFT in V4 and a matched/balanced Ruby HG C9 in V5. I like the RFT in V1 too, but the EI has a little more pep.

Steve

OUTLAW1969":2r2zflyg said:
Steve, did you ever receive your order of RFT's from Russia?

Not yet. I got the tracking though and it will probably be about 10-14 days I would imagine with EMS/USPS. They will go to the US first, then I will get them over here in my next care package.

SK

psychodave":dy5ge1ac said:
steve_k":dy5ge1ac said:
psychodave":dy5ge1ac said:
Has anyone tried using a brighter tube for V4... input clean? I always have the treble on channel 1 set really high (around 3 o'clock) and was considering something like a GE 12AX7. I have several high gain Westinghouse GE long plates I may try...

I am running an EI in V1 and GT C8's in 2, 3, an NOS RFT in V4 and a matched/balanced Ruby HG C9 in V5. I like the RFT in V1 too, but the EI has a little more pep.

Steve

I tried Ei, RCA, GE and a few others... I preferred the C8 for the thickness and gain. The Ei did sound good though and it was ever so slightly brighter. :)

EI's are hit or miss and can be a little noisy. A good one is indeed good though. I need to buy a tube tester for $500 instead of using an amp :D

Hypothetically speaking - do you find it easier to brighten up a dark amp or darken up a bright amp?

psychodave":1an7ydi8 said:
steve_k":1an7ydi8 said:
steve_k":1an7ydi8 said:

Steve

I tried Ei, RCA, GE and a few others... I preferred the C8 for the thickness and gain. The Ei did sound good though and it was ever so slightly brighter. :)

EI's are hit or miss and can be a little noisy. A good one is indeed good though. I need to buy a tube tester for $500 instead of using an amp :D

Hypothetically speaking - do you find it easier to brighten up a dark amp or darken up a bright amp?

I have 40 Ei's... a lot have Mesa labels... so I know they are good, and of course, I try more than one Ei ;) I only have 2 noisy Ei's though.

It depends on the amp... I have some GE's that will rip your face off if used in a Marshall. Or you could pop in a JJ and make the Marshall sound dull, dark and lifeless :LOL: :LOL: Since I primarily have Marshalls, I find it easier to tame some of the brightness with different tubes.

Yeah, its a tweaker kind of thing....... :D

Back