Celestion G12H-75 / Vintage 30

stephen sawall

20231014_114140.jpg

20231014_114148.jpg
20231014_114347.jpg

20231014_121140.jpg
20231014_121146.jpg

I bought this Marshall 4x12 in the 80's. A lot of cabs have come and gone since. This cab might be my favorite.

The G12H-30 Anniversary have been in the cab about 20 years. They are probably going in a cab with a pair of greenbacks. Yesterday I put the G12H-75 in. I played on them about three hours with a Orange OR50 and Les Paul.

So far I like what I hear. I don't think they sound better. Just different.

I used to have a pair of H-75's. They were alright, but they were really thin-sounding. Not very bassy whatsoever. They were noticeably more efficient than my Chinese V30's too. They were about as loud as my Relic 30's, though. I'm not sure if these have varied throughout the years. Mine were really trebly and thin, but many people consider these "beefy" and "warmer than V30's". So I don't know.

They do look cool as hell with the huge magnet and the cream crap in an open back cab. But then again, fuck open back cabs, LOL.

Not sure what was going on with your speakers Rex...but thin is about the last thing I would call these. It makes the Marshall cab sound more modern and closer to my Rectifier cabs for chug and girth.

I have play on G12H-75 a few times over the years. But first time I owned them. I prefer to spend some time with them and use a few amps and guitars before saying much. But so far I really like what they are doing. I feel the cleans have less glass comparing the G12H-75 to the G12H-30 70th Anniversary.
The leads with the smooth creamy highs are really nice. The crunch stuff is much more modern. The 70th Anniversary is more Vintage.

I decided to go G12H-75 instead of G12M-65 because of the tighter bass response.
The Neo Creamback sounds interesting also. Might pick up a pair of each.

The G12H-30 Anniversary have been in the cab about 20 years. They are probably going in a cab with a pair of greenbacks. Yesterday I put the G12H-75 in. I played on them about three hours with a Orange OR50 and Les Paul.

Whats the diff between the annies and H75?

I agree with the H75’s having the sizzle. I just went through a ton of different speakers recording and came to the conclusion that the H75 is spectacular as a high end blend speaker, so mic it for highs and blend it with a different speaker that supplies the low mids.

Also agree, it’s crazy efficient, not pairing well in the room ‘cause it drowns out most of my other speakers.

View attachment 257472

View attachment 257475View attachment 257481
View attachment 257487View attachment 257490
I bought this Marshall 4x12 in the 80's. A lot of cabs have come and gone since. This cab might be my favorite.

The Annis and V30's are my favorite combo sounds huge in my Bogner 2x12.

The Annis will also pair nicely with GB's. In fact the single best 4x12's I ever heard or owned where two Mojave 4x12's with GB's on top and Annis on bottom. Massive sounding cabs...I lost those in a rehearsal room fire. Tried to recreate the same thing when replacing with the insurance money with some Splawn cabs...not even close. My old Marshall 4x12 currently has the GB/Anni combo. Sounds good. Btw/ with that combo I don't do an X pattern, GB's on top Annis on the bottom.

Not sure what was going on with your speakers Rex...but thin is about the last thing I would call these. It makes the Marshall cab sound more modern and closer to my Rectifier cabs for chug and girth.

I have play on G12H-75 a few times over the years. But first time I owned them. I prefer to spend some time with them and use a few amps and guitars before saying much. But so far I really like what they are doing. I feel the cleans have less glass comparing the G12H-75 to the G12H-30 70th Anniversary.
The leads with the smooth creamy highs are really nice. The crunch stuff is much more modern. The 70th Anniversary is more Vintage.
I think it might have been a year of production kinda deal much like people are finding with V30's.

Mine weren't bad. They got along well with bassy amps. They really tightened stuff up. But mine were MUCH brighter than the "dreaded" Chinese V30's that everyone felt were bad at the time for being fizzy. Under the mic, my V30's (mine had the 25th Anni label) were warmer, fatter, and quieter. I never found those V30's as dreadful as everyone makes them out to be either, personally.

Not saying your experience is not different, BTW. My theory is it has to do with the same phenomena people are now finding out about V30's from different years sounding different. I have a pair of UK Greenbacks from 2020 that sounds brighter than a pair of Chinese Greenbacks from 2015-2016-ish even though neither ever saw much use, so neither is really "broken in".

IMO, the G12H Creamback 75 has a bright voice but with a lot of bass and without a ton of sparkly/sizzly high end. So you get what seem to be conflicting opinions. It also doesn’t have a bunch of that midrange crunch that Greenbacks have. I like it a lot but not where I would usually want a Greenback.

The G12H 30W Anni is very different. It is way more sparkly/sizzly in the top but yet has less of a bright voice but then has a decent/balanced amount of bass.

Oh wait, I can’t hear shit anymore. Never mind Rosanna Danna Danna.

I put a pair of these greenbacks G12M-25 in a 80's Peavey straight 4x12 with the pair of G12H-30.

It sounds great. Much more of a vintage sound than the Marshall cab.

16976605093896567189950822248458.jpg

Basically I am trying to get all my cabs to have unique individual flavors.

How many other speakers I buy on this latest cab / speaker binge is hard to say. But it doesn't seem like it is over yet.

I have a cream back 75 in my hodge hodge 4x12 and I like it on darker amps or amps that just need a little help cutting. I would definitely consider a good choice for overdubbing any parts you want to poke out in the mix, maybe even for solo's if you want an aggressive up front sound. It wouldn't be my first choice on a plexi type amp or JMP/JCM master volume for rhythm playing. I feel this way about the Anni as well which I also have in the same 4x12. It makes sense that it would sound good with the Orange. So far I've been really liking my Fane F70 I got from Avatar a while ago. There isn't an amp it doesn't like and it has a nice rolloff of excessive fizz without being dull.

I put a pair of these greenbacks G12M-25 in a 80's Peavey straight 4x12 with the pair of G12H-30.

It sounds great. Much more of a vintage sound than the Marshall cab.

View attachment 258303
Basically I am trying to get all my cabs to have unique individual flavors.

How many other speakers I buy on this latest cab / speaker binge is hard to say. But it doesn't seem like it is over yet.
Some people want an IR library, I’d rather have the real thing. Ordered a 2x12 from Avatar years ago just so I could have an open back, Alnico cab (one blue and one Avatar branded 25 Alnico). My main 4x12 has 4 different speakers in it..lol I just move the 57 to what flavor I want.

Funny twenty years ago last time I tried G12M-25 greenback and G12H-30 70th Anniversary I did not like it very much. This time the same speakers in a different cab sound awesome. Whole Lotta Rosie sounds better than ever.

Back