Celestion Vintage 30 Alternatives

I went down the V30 rabbit hole last year. I have some Chinese ones that came in an Avatar 2x12 I bought in 2007, and recently bought a new Mesa and 80s Marshall branded one. They all sound like V30s for sure but I find them all to sound better and better the more you use them. The ones in my battered Avatar 2x12 that has toured for years and been abused sound the best to me.

I tend to dislike V30s when playing alone but like them a lot when playing in a loud band.

I had a pair of Veteran 30’s once. Very bland speaker with no character that doesn’t sound like a V30 at all. And agree that the best sounding V30’s are the old Marshall ones. Those are amazing.

Why has nobody talked about P50es....? I went down to the Eminence governors and didnt like them... i got scumbacks and yes it sounded good !! But i do find i still prefer the P50es whom many said it sounded hollow without the mids filled in....

I found and recalled the P50es i got plays tighter cleaner and scumbacks are clean speakers....

I was surprised how much I liked the Tremoverb with the P50E Deliverance 4x12.

The Marshall Vintage has been my main speakers over 30 years. I have used them as a quad or mixed with G12M-25 greenback, G12H-30 70th Anniversary, G12K-85, G12H-75 creamback and got good results with all of them.

Why has nobody talked about P50es....? I went down to the Eminence governors and didnt like them... i got scumbacks and yes it sounded good !! But i do find i still prefer the P50es whom many said it sounded hollow without the mids filled in....

I found and recalled the P50es i got plays tighter cleaner and scumbacks are clean speakers....
I don't think P50E's are V30-based at all. They have the smaller magnet and they're dark and Eminence-y compared to any Celestion.

I don't think P50E's are V30-based at all. They have the smaller magnet and they're dark and Eminence-y compared to any Celestion.
I agree they don't sound much.like a Vintage 30. But supposedly Fryette was trying to get the sound of a Vintage 30 and greenback mixed when they voiced the P50E. As you mentioned they don't have that Celestion thing. They sound like Eminence.

I had a pair of Veteran 30’s once. Very bland speaker with no character that doesn’t sound like a V30 at all. And agree that the best sounding V30’s are the old Marshall ones. Those are amazing.
I was about to say this. I finally took a swing at the last eBay listing for a pair of ‘Marshall‘ branded G12-Vintage. Def has that V-30 character, but something warmer, smoother that is hard to find in many of the more recent and overseas V-30 variants.

I really don't make a V30 type speaker. I make more vintage sounding speakers, the V30 is a little too modern for my speaker line. Seems like you have a lot of the options covered in your first post. Good luck with your search!
How would you describe the M75?

I have a couple of the blue frame ones (Weber?) and I hate to admit I've not really used them yet.

I just bought (2) brand new Vintage 30’s from Avatar speakers and they are the best vintage 30’s I’ve heard. They just seem more balanced and no frequency spikes at all. I don’t know what’s changed, but I’m digging them!
IIRC the only difference really is that Dave breaks in his V30s for 20 hours so that is probably it. I bought an Avatar from him but ended up getting a G12H30 and Classic Lead 80.

Now I have a Splawn 212 with his Small Blocks - but those are more Greenback clones. I also have a Mesa Trad 4x12 8ohm with those Mesa V30s in it.

IIRC the only difference really is that Dave breaks in his V30s for 20 hours so that is probably it. I bought an Avatar from him but ended up getting a G12H30 and Classic Lead 80.

Now I have a Splawn 212 with his Small Blocks - but those are more Greenback clones. I also have a Mesa Trad 4x12 8ohm with those Mesa V30s in it.
I bought some from him recently.. they were dated older but he's selling his stock out. Mine sounded great too

I know he breaks in the hellatones which are relabeled vintage 30s but is he breaking in all of the speakers he sells ?

I went down the V30 rabbit hole last year. I have some Chinese ones that came in an Avatar 2x12 I bought in 2007, and recently bought a new Mesa and 80s Marshall branded one. They all sound like V30s for sure but I find them all to sound better and better the more you use them. The ones in my battered Avatar 2x12 that has toured for years and been abused sound the best to me.

I tend to dislike V30s when playing alone but like them a lot when playing in a loud band.
Broken in is best :yes:

Welcome to Rig-Talk :cheers:

One of my cabs is loaded with Marshall V30s and DV77s. I cant remember the exact frequency point, but I have done a bunch of recording tests with my all my cabs and speakers, and I remember the DV77s below like 1.2k having a very similar character to the early 2000s V30s in my Mesa OS. So, I have come to the conclusion that they are voiced to essentially be an early 2000s V30 with very scooped upper-mids. If you find yourself scooping the upper-mids out of your V30s, then DV77s may be a good alternative for you or at least something worth trying. When I use that particular cab, I use the DV77 as the main sound and blend in the Marshall V30s for the upper-mids.

Back