Charvel Dad Shred (WIP)

Crunchity

Just fooling around with my new Charvel and some old skool type instrumental guitar music.

Don't mind the "placeholder" slices, I'm trying to finish up the mix/tune as well as making a simple short subject video, those spots will have biking footage of me and my gf goofing off, etc.

Last edited:
^^^ Thank you!!

The alternate name for this WIP tune could be "the Charvel jam" lol, using three different Charvels, a US pro mod for one side rhythm, a DK24 for the other and a MiJ DK24 (mahogany) for the lead tone. All of them running direct into the AXE FX III into Cubase (bass as well). Ezdrummer 2.

Sounds great. I have EZ drummer, but never got the hang of it. Granted, didn't try hard.
I'll add my brief Charvel SLO clip to yours if you don't mind.

Last edited:
Sounds great. Really professional sounding mix/master. Curious to see how you got that. Stock presets in the Axe? Recording software? Any EQ plugins or mastering software? Really impressive. Guitars sound great.

Just fooling around with my new Charvel and some old skool type instrumental guitar music.

The first few seconds are more for the video I may create for fun if the tune ends up being a keeper (the intro would be a sort of a dream thing, earbuds fading into dreaming, then the actual track).

EDIT: SORRY, can't seem to update the post here with new clip, pff.

Where did you get that Atari controller?

Sounds great. Really professional sounding mix/master. Curious to see how you got that. Stock presets in the Axe? Recording software? Any EQ plugins or mastering software? Really impressive. Guitars sound great.
Thanks!! I start with stock presets but always tweak them to taste, usually to sound better in a mix setting (the presets to me tend to sound more 'raw' and 'in the room', which I get because they want you to hear what the models can do but that rarely sounds right to me once I track them with other parts). Everything is just straight into Cubase 11 "Artist" edition, no fudging (EQ, compression, etc) of anything except in my mastering buss where I just have a few of the essential plugs to round it out. If you have the Axe FX III I'll gladly share the presets I used (only a couple, the real trick for me was using several different guitars).

Thanks again! I'll definitely post the finished track here soon.

Where did you get that Atari controller?

They sell them at "Microcenter" here in the ATL area but I'm sure you can order them online. They're USB plug n play, work perfectly with MAME and other arcade software. I love mine!

Gaming-Setup.jpg

They sell them at "Microcenter" here in the ATL area but I'm sure you can order them online. They're USB plug n play, work perfectly with MAME and other arcade software. I love mine!

Gaming-Setup.jpg
Unfortunately they have been discontinued but I will hunt one down one way or the other. I didn't see any with a steering wheel.

Unfortunately they have been discontinued but I will hunt one down one way or the other. I didn't see any with a steering wheel.

That sucks. I see that they're sold out, maybe they'll return at some point. Hope you find one.

I added the wheel to mine, pretty easy mod (there's a yt clip walking you through it)...the wheel was a must for some of the vintage racing games, just feels so much more like the original games vs a stick.

Reactions: Geo
Thanks!! I start with stock presets but always tweak them to taste, usually to sound better in a mix setting (the presets to me tend to sound more 'raw' and 'in the room', which I get because they want you to hear what the models can do but that rarely sounds right to me once I track them with other parts). Everything is just straight into Cubase 11 "Artist" edition, no fudging (EQ, compression, etc) of anything except in my mastering buss where I just have a few of the essential plugs to round it out. If you have the Axe FX III I'll gladly share the presets I used (only a couple, the real trick for me was using several different guitars).

Thanks again! I'll definitely post the finished track here soon.
Right on -- I have the same experiences with many of the stock presets. They require a bit of tweaking -- generally brightening on the top and thinning out some mud in the lower mids. I SPDIF into Reaper and sometimes apply some EQ there to get a closer match to various records -- think VH1. I generally run Izotope Ozone to master across the output buss to polish the overall mix and bring it all together. Agree -- different guitars can help, along with double/triple tracking, different amps/cabs, etc.

Saw from another post that you are in the Atlanta area. Same here -- I'm in Alpharetta. Where are you?

That's the pricey version as it includes hundreds of games and the gui/software to run them.

Shame that's all that is avail, the version I bought was only $129 and perfect since I already have all the games, etc.

I will say this, it's excellent quality for the money, the sticks, buttons, trackball, etc, are all the same type components the old arcade machines used, I've been abusing mine several days a week for years now and still have no issues to speak of (other than it can be a distraction from music lol)

Reactions: Geo
That's the pricey version as it includes hundreds of games and the gui/software to run them.

Shame that's all that is avail, the version I bought was only $129 and perfect since I already have all the games, etc.

I will say this, it's excellent quality for the money, the sticks, buttons, trackball, etc, are all the same type components the old arcade machines used, I've been abusing mine several days a week for years now and still have no issues to speak of (other than it can be a distraction from music lol)
I wish it was cheaper, but considering what is included and that it is actually Atari licensed. It was worth it to me.

The X Arcade stuff is just as expensive.

Back