Charvel Pro Mod DK24 HSS pots question

geetarmikey

Got this beauty recently and I think it's supposed to have a no-load tone control and 500k pots, but the sound gets muddy quite quickly when I roll the volume down with distortion so I'm wondering what the deal is?

Any ideas, let me know.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230917_111340.jpg
    20230917_111340.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 20230917_111340.jpg
    20230917_111340.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 26
I believe every guitar can benefit from a treble bleed.

However, I have a guitar that i once had EMGs in and never switched out the 25k pot when I took out the EMGs. It sounds much nicer with a 500k. Did your guitar every have EMGs in it?

Crack it open and show some closeups.

You could try a treble bleed, or a really short cable to a buffered pedal. Some pickups just don't clean up very well.

I believe every guitar can benefit from a treble bleed.

However, I have a guitar that i once had EMGs in and never switched out the 25k pot when I took out the EMGs. It sounds much nicer with a 500k. Did your guitar every have EMGs in it?

Crack it open and show some closeups.
Treble bleeds mess with the pot taper. Some frequencies are literally on 10 for a majority of the sweep of the pot. A good pickup should remain clear as the volume is rolled down.

Last edited:
Treble bleeds mess with the pot taper. Some frequencies are literally on 10!for a majority of the sweep of the pot. A good pickup should remain clear as the volume is rolled down.
I’ve yet to meet a pickup that doesn’t lose an unnatural amount of treble below about 9. The treble bleed makes the entire sweep useful for me.

Jason Lollar agrees with you though. But what does he know? 😂

I’ve yet to meet a pickup that doesn’t lose an unnatural amount of treble below about 9. The treble bleed makes the entire sweep useful for me.

I don't have that issue with either of my Les Paul's but I did have that issue with my old EVH Wolfgang.

My Suhr modern seems to clean up much better, but whether it's the bridge humbucker, or the two single coils, they don't clean up very clearly and get muddy quickly.

Is it the pickups do we think? The bridge is an SD Full Shred and the single coils are Custom Flat Strats.

Thanks for the responses!

Last edited:

But the treble bleed doesn't seem to be affecting it is my main problem.

It’s mainly the load from the treble pot. So, it’s strange that with the the no load, you are still experiencing this

Also, I cannot explain it but the Bourns low friction pots not only have the most natural taper, but sound the clearest when rolling down.

This is an 18.6k/A2 with a bound pot

Back