Choice Pedal for Metal Tone?

MistaGuitah

Say you have an amp that gets up to classic rock distortion and tube screamer, overdrives aren't cutting it. What is your go-to metal pedal? There are a lot to consider like the VH4 & Herbert, Suhr Riot, Revv, classic Boss distortions, etc., but one pedal that I always wanted to try is the Bogner Uberschall. Any thoughts on newer vs older pedals?

I have two suggestions that I use:
Toneczar openhaus, many good sounds in this one.
1978 customs pitbull distortion. Rarer than hens teeth but sounds exactly like a 5150.

I have an Engl rack system that gets me to more hi gain saturation than I'll ever need, these days I'm not going for metal tones as much.

Boss Metal Core (or Metal Zone). Seriously.

If you want more control, have a look at the Source Audio UltraWave.

This will sound funny. But the best distortion pedal for metal is the Danelectro COOL CAT volume 2 . Volume 1 blows . But ya it’s the only distortion I’ve ever liked from a pedal

it really depends what kind of metal, i have some cheap ones like the ibanez smashbox that can sound as good as anything through a good clean channel, even the metalzone can sound great

So OP, are we talkin pedals designed to go into the preamp of your head (front input), into the power amp section (fx return), or either?

So if you want to put something like a Bogner Uberschall Pedal in front of your amp, you could easily go with some sort of modeller pedal as well and use the power section of your amp. Have a look at the Tonex Pedal.

AMT R/S Lead; can be used up front or as a preamp

Clip:

Amptweaker TightMetal is also pretty good, but more of a dry tone

I used to love using a MT-2 with the gain at 0, then use the volume and EQ to get your core tone... then bring the gain up gradually to the point you want it. Honestly at 0 it's already introducing some gain/boost and crunch to the signal. Sounded brutal.

KSR Ceres works great stand alone or through a clean or grainy amp. Can get as brutal as hell. Great pedal.

Back