Clean module help!

Mcgas

HI guys, been havin fun messin with the mod 50 that I just got. [vx SL2]. Now its decision time for a clean module. I find myself filling in for a lot of funk/ motown type gigs of late. I bought the MOD to blast in my 3 piece hard rock band which the vx/sl2 take care of. After reading Eric's informative posts, iv struck off the Bassman due to headroom issues. [although i reckon ill get the b/man eventually] I love the vibe of the vx, but with 2 spaces somethings got to go. So im thinking the dlx/vx module makes a lot of sense. Question is [Jeff] are these still available, if so how long to build, and can u set up the dlx for heaps of headroom for clean stabby funk stuff?. any help appreciated. BTW i was pulling some great Black Sabbath "Lost children of the Sea" grind out of the vx ch b! was givin the Sl2 a run for its money there for a while :D thanx Macka

Mcgas":1jkcceoi said:
HI guys, been havin fun messin with the mod 50 that I just got. [vx SL2]. Now its decision time for a clean module. I find myself filling in for a lot of funk/ motown type gigs of late. I bought the MOD to blast in my 3 piece hard rock band which the vx/sl2 take care of. After reading Eric's informative posts, iv struck off the Bassman due to headroom issues. [although i reckon ill get the b/man eventually] I love the vibe of the vx, but with 2 spaces somethings got to go. So im thinking the dlx/vx module makes a lot of sense. Question is [Jeff] are these still available, if so how long to build, and can u set up the dlx for heaps of headroom for clean stabby funk stuff?. any help appreciated. BTW i was pulling some great Black Sabbath "Lost children of the Sea" grind out of the vx ch b! was givin the Sl2 a run for its money there for a while :D thanx Macka

i'd either get a DLX or a T/D. If you want a high headroom clean channel, then the T/D is a must have. I wanted the DLX, as I like a slightly gritty clean. I set the DLX ChA to about 10-12 o'clock. Has similar character to the T, but has a natural compression to it that the T doesn't have. But the T is very shimmering, glassy, fully, and beautiful. I just found myself using the D side of the T/D more for cleans, but missed using the D side of the T/D as a overdriven sound. Hence the switch to the DLX. I honestly can get similar tones w/ the DLX to the VX ChA with the Bright switch on 2, and the treble around 1-2 oclock.

Just depends on what you are looking for though.

Thanx 4 the replies...

EWSEthan":v6tagvwv said:
Why not a T/D?

I guess im thinking if the dlx can do the high headroom clean, I could get the dlx/vx module, and set up fender vx marshall in the 2 module spaces.
But the priority is high clean headroom so I think ill end up with the T/D. Thanx again!....Macka

Mcgas":2h9kz7co said:
Thanx 4 the replies...

EWSEthan":2h9kz7co said:
Why not a T/D?

I guess im thinking if the dlx can do the high headroom clean, I could get the dlx/vx module, and set up fender vx marshall in the 2 module spaces.
But the priority is high clean headroom so I think ill end up with the T/D. Thanx again!....Macka

DLX and D side of T/D will stay cleaner longer than BMAN or Ch A of VX, but will not stay as clean as T side of T/D. D will eventually break up, esp with bridge pickup. T will not break up unless you put a disto pedal in front. T is also a little "chimier" and a little lest mid-rangey than D.

D will stay pretty clean though, so it's really a matter of taste and what kind of guitar you are using - if you are using vintage output single coils, it will take a lot for the D to really break up. If you are using HO humbuckers, then it won't.

Thanx for that..yea I use EMG pups that have a fairly high o/p, so its lookin like the T/D..Macka

Mcgas":3t43vvx1 said:
Thanx for that..yea I use EMG pups that have a fairly high o/p, so its lookin like the T/D..Macka

i use EMG's mainly (81, SA, SLV) too. The DLX on Channel A is a higher headroom...but not as high as the T. It has a bit of grit in my opinion...and some natural compression that adds a lot of character to the sound. On a humbucker in the bridge, it will have a slight grit to it, but on the single coils w/ the gain setting on ChA at 11 oclock, it is clean through and through.

If you want a perfectly clean sound with all pickups, you do want the T/D though. If you want a sound w/ a bit of added character around the edges...then the DLX is a great choice.

Both modules rock (The DLX and T/D) though. You won't be disappointed either way ;).

Eric

Back