CLIP: 2ch Recto Vs VH4

Which tone do you prefer?

• Mesa 'Rackto'

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • Diezel VH4

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters
Old thread.

I can't believe I'm saying this as normally I can't stand VH4's, but the VH4 wins for me here. It's darker and bigger sounding, which I think fits the vibe of the track better.

I get the feeling the guitar's purpose in this track is supposed to be gigantic, distant, and crushing, which the VH4 does better in this clip. The Mesa is too present and makes the vibe of the track more "hey this is a guitar player playing guitar riffs in a song where we play guitar" whereas the VH4 takes the focus off the guitar just a bit so you focus more on the music and overall vibe.

However, I bet if you zeroed the Presence and lowered the Treble on the Mesa you'd probably get a similar thing.

edit: even with the 2nd VH4 clip with its highs dialed slightly up, the VH4 is still just a bit broader where the Mesa has a more overall mids-focused EQ signature. VH4 wins.

They both sound amazing, but this is the best audio clip of VH-4 I've heard so far. Made me want to get one for myself!!!

Agree. These clip are literally the best I've ever heard a VH4 sound, by a mile.

Last edited:
I'm actually a big VH4 fan, particularly the latest revision which (to my ears) is considerably brighter and more aggressive. That said, I have to admit that recorded VH4 tones can be very hit or miss depending on many factors. It's how the amp feels when your in front if that makes the VH4 so addictive. That's been my experience.

Back