Clip: My best 5150 tone yet.

mightyjoeyoungxnj

Hey guys,

It's been a struggle to get good recorded tone with a single SM57. Mic position is so damn crucial. My clips were sounding either too dark and muddy, or had too much high end and sounded thin, not to mention finding good amp settings.

But, I think I have my best tone yet. I added a little high pass to tame the boomy low end. Yes it sounds a bit fizzy, but after appropriate processing it should sound better. I think I captured the sound of the amp well, finally.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/100-D ... HiPass.mp3

Let me know what you think. I think it sounds full and as it should. A bit of low pass will tame the fizz too. This is just two tracks with my Les Paul and the Mesa Oversized cab.

Also the mp3 compression makes it sound slightly worse than the original, but not TOO much worse.

-Joe

Oh, and excuse the really lame chord progression, this was PURELY a mic position/setting test.

mightyjoeyoungxnj":1gaztawl said:
Hey guys,

It's been a struggle to get good recorded tone with a single SM57. Mic position is so damn crucial. My clips were sounding either too dark and muddy, or had too much high end and sounded thin, not to mention finding good amp settings.

But, I think I have my best tone yet. I added a little high pass to tame the boomy low end. Yes it sounds a bit fizzy, but after appropriate processing it should sound better. I think I captured the sound of the amp well, finally.

Let me know what you think. I think it sounds full and as it should. A bit of low pass will tame the fizz too. This is just two tracks with my Les Paul and the Mesa Oversized cab.

Also the mp3 compression makes it sound slightly worse than the original, but not TOO much worse.

-Joe

Oh, and excuse the really lame chord progression, this was PURELY a mic position/setting test.
Sounded Great!

jmgman69":35oe3h5d said:
mightyjoeyoungxnj":35oe3h5d said:
Hey guys,

-Joe

Sounded Great!

Cheers, thanks dude!

-Joe

mrp5150":18j19mnb said:
Honestly, I think it sounds way too fuzzy. :(

Yeah, I keep listening back to it and I agree. I do have the presence pretty damn high though. It was a tip I took from the Sneap forum. I'm going to try and back off the presence or the highs for my next clip.

Also with minimal processing I think I can tame the fizz. The original wav also sounds less fizzy than the mp3.

thanks for listening man!

-Joe

AmpliFIRE":22dxi7s2 said:
Very cool brother! I would boost the mids a bit next time...

Thanks Paige! Yeah, the Mesa oversized is a bit scooped in general. It's kinda the sound I'm going for, but I'm gonna try different clips with different mids settings.

-Joe

I think the eq sounds fine by itself. Might be pretty dark for a mix. My only problem is the fuzzzzz like Mark mentioned. If you like it though it can totally work for metal and such.

Haha thanks dudes.

Yeah, the fizz is just a characteristic of the 5150, but it can be tamed. I probably did have the presence a touch too high.

I will post some full, heavy mixes when I have some more free time. I'm picking up a bass soon so I can have some proper mixes.

Thanks for listening!

-Joe

I thouhgt it had a little too much fizz. It probably would sound better with a bass behind it. I think it is a pretty good heavy sound if thats what your looking for. :thumbsup:

MARK1970":1warlcqj said:
I thouhgt it had a little too much fizz. It probably would sound better with a bass behind it. I think it is a pretty good heavy sound if thats what your looking for. :thumbsup:

Thanks man. Yeah, I honestly think it will sound much better in a full mix...I'm gonna get on that very soon.

Yeah, I was going for the heavy thing! hehe

-Joe

Back