Clue me in on wireless systems

voodooradio1

I am tired of being tethered to my rig, and dealing with tangled cables. Are the smaller plug and play jobs like the Xvive worth considering? Just want something that won't break the bank, or change my tone to the point I can't dial it in with my rig. Also needs to be proven on stage, with no hassles. Open to all suggestions.

Been using a Shure GLX D16 for years with zero issues and better tone than a cable. You regain that lost high end you loose with a cable.

16 hour play time on a single charge!!! Amazing. Has a great tuner also and is super sturdy. Made a 90 angle cable end and it is better with that.Had a line 6 G50 before, was great also but ate batteries and cable and battery door where flimsy.

Shure all the way.

7 Stringer":jm2ed6u4 said:
Been using a Sure GLX D16 for years with zero issues and better tone than a cable. You regain that lost high end you loose with a cable.

16 hour play time on a single charge!!! Amazing. Has a great tuner also and is super sturdy. Made a 90 angle cable end and it is better with that.Had a line 6 G50 before, was great also but ate batteries and cable and battery door where flimsy.

Sure all the way.
Thanks for the info. I will check that out.

Ive considered going this route too but I'm worried that it will sound and feel different from a cable... would love to try out one of those glxd's

I got the Boss WL-50 a little over a month ago and really love it. I can’t speak for how well it would stand up to live performances because I just use it to sit outside and jam and move around the house so far. But if you’re looking at Xvive, I’d definitely look at the Boss.

I will note that the plug does not fit my new Ibanez JCustom. So if the guitar has a small opening and the plug is relatively deep, I’m not sure any of the entry level adapters will fit.

I vote the Shure. I have put mine through the ringer, and never had any issues. I'll even forget to turn it off after gigs and still use the same charge for practice all week because it kills itself.

I tech at my church once in a while, occasionally do a little mixing. But they had a cheap line 6 one and I had a lot of problems with it getting right on the sound board and reliability. Keep in mind that this is large scale, 1500ish seats we run a 48 chann and use about 33-34 channels live.

We use Shure now and I have had less issues.

But if it is just for home/bar gigs, I would not be as concerned.

XVive is a great product. You could definitely do rehearsals and small gigs, but everyone needs one just for informal jams, quick grab and go jams at a buddy's house, etc. They are cheap and sound/feel great.

I also snagged a G10s and that sounds amazing. Big improvements from the previous model.

crankyrayhanky":379py9wz said:
XVive is a great product. You could definitely do rehearsals and small gigs, but everyone needs one just for informal jams, quick grab and go jams at a buddy's house, etc. They are cheap and sound/feel great.

I also snagged a G10s and that sounds amazing. Big improvements from the previous model.

On the G10, I saw some youtube reviews that the USB connection to the base unit comes loose easy and wiggles loose sometimes if on a pedalboard. Have you experienced any of that? I was ->| |<- that close to buying the G10 before I saw that. I ended up with the Boss Wl50, but wondering about the G10.

stratjacket":ca0u1s19 said:
crankyrayhanky":ca0u1s19 said:

On the G10, I saw some youtube reviews that the USB connection to the base unit comes loose easy and wiggles loose sometimes if on a pedalboard. Have you experienced any of that? I was ->| |<- that close to buying the G10 before I saw that. I ended up with the Boss Wl50, but wondering about the G10.
Yes that is true of the G10- awful problem on an otherwise great unit
The newer G10s fixed that issue with a standard 9v connection :thumbsup:

All of us in my band have been using the Boss WL-50 wireless units. They have worked perfectly and no issues when playing live.

7 Stringer":28fml1x7 said:
Been using a Sure GLX D16 for years with zero issues and better tone than a cable. You regain that lost high end you loose with a cable.

Sure all the way.

Another vote for the Shure GLX-D.
The long battery life and built in tuner are HUGE!
Super reliable and built like a tank.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for all of the input folks. I ended up going with the Line 6 G10S. I play a lot of acoustic guitar as well, and like that XLR out allows it to double as a wireless direct box. Haven't gigged it yet, but it has performed well at rehearsal. Great for practice at home as well. Not having to deal with a body pack is a plus for me, because dealing with tangled straps is as annoying as dealing with tangled cables.
I never had issues with getting tangled up in cable with a pedal board, but since I've started using the AX8 I can't seem to avoid it. I think it may be that I am accustomed to having the cable from guitar to pedal board to my right side, but the AX's input is on the rear left. At any rate, Problem solved, and any difference in sound/tone is negligible.

Back