Computer Recording Setup Questions

Charvel1975

Hello, I have an old HP Pavilion p6-2100 desktop computer with an AMD Dual Core A4-3420 Accelerated Processor that I'm running Reaper recording software, an old Line 6 UX-1 USB recording interface and free version of POD Farm 1 with 1 expansion amp pack I bought on the Line 6 site years ago and using old Altec Lansing computer speakers and have not been happy with the sound for a long time and also try to use it for playing along to songs as well but that doesn't always work out that great.

I'm looking for advice on how to improve my setup on a budget and I need to be able to keep the volume down as the whole setup is in my bedroom. I would also be opening up other virtual plug-ins and multiple windows. It pretty much freezes up the whole computer when I do this.

Hello, I have an old HP Pavilion p6-2100 desktop computer with an AMD Dual Core A4-3420 Accelerated Processor that I'm running Reaper recording software, an old Line 6 UX-1 USB recording interface and free version of POD Farm 1 with 1 expansion amp pack I bought on the Line 6 site years ago and using old Altec Lansing computer speakers and have not been happy with the sound for a long time and also try to use it for playing along to songs as well but that doesn't always work out that great.

I'm looking for advice on how to improve my setup on a budget and I need to be able to keep the volume down as the whole setup is in my bedroom. I would also be opening up other virtual plug-ins and multiple windows. It pretty much freezes up the whole computer when I do this.
What OS are you running? Do you know the mobo model? How much ram do you have? You can start by setting the resolution lower on certain programs given the processor you're using uses the ram for video. Perhaps check that you don't have any sound enhancement features turned on in the sound control panel. Run memtest a few times as those dimms are getting up there in age. A clean install of the OS can fix a lot of issues if you back up anything important to you first. That CPU/APU is pretty dated, though and may just be time to move on from the platform altogether. Do you have a budget in mind?

^ That is all very good advice. We would need to know a bit more about your PC as mentioned. I can't answer that part specifically but I was running almost that exact same set up with a very old Sony laptop and didn't have any problems. Shure SM57 > UX1 > Laptop > Pod Farm > Audacity. All that shit has probably expired by now and I have a new HP 2n1 Pavilion i7 - 2T ss drive, etc.

So another thought, if you don't mind in-room clips, is a Zoom Q2n4K condenser type video camera. Press one button. :D I'm lazy but I do need to recreate my old recording set up.

4V0581ul.jpg

What OS are you running? Do you know the mobo model? How much ram do you have? You can start by setting the resolution lower on certain programs given the processor you're using uses the ram for video. Perhaps check that you don't have any sound enhancement features turned on in the sound control panel. Run memtest a few times as those dimms are getting up there in age. A clean install of the OS can fix a lot of issues if you back up anything important to you first. That CPU/APU is pretty dated, though and may just be time to move on from the platform altogether. Do you have a budget in mind?

Attachments

• 20240125_083035.jpg
    20240125_083035.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 26
Anything modern will be a substantial upgrade for you. If you're set on pushing the life of that even further I would at minimum upgrade the ram to 8 gigs and replace the thermal paste on top of the earlier recommendations. I really like phanteks ph-ndc due it's quality and life span in various environments, but most any non electrically conductive tim will do.

This is the factory ram specific to your pc and although likely almost any ddr3 would work, it's probably best to stick to what the prebuilt computer uses in case the motherboard bios has compatibility issues with it. Pretty sure you're stuck with that cpu as I probably wouldn't trust the vrms on that motherboard or bios to be ready for an upgrade.

amazon.com/Crucial-2x4GB-Desktop-Memory-CT2K51264BD160B/dp/B005NU49DG?th=1

Although you may be tempted (and your memory may work) with buying just another 4g stick of ram, think of them like buying new tubes, as in their compatibility with each other is all but guaranteed when bought together in a package new. You probably could go with the 16gb kit as well, although don't expect any performance increases. All of that said; even an entry level laptop or desktop is going to out perform what you have now by a substantial margin and is the route I would recommend. Just make sure if you go that route to get at least 8gb of ram and enough harddrive space for your needs. I'm sure if you found something me or @311splawndude could let you know if it's good for your purposes and for the money. If you have a budget in mind it would be easier to recommend something. GL!

New computers can be cheap if you have a platform to build on. A Motherboard, CPU and Memory. Bundle deals are a good option.
Look for used computers on ebay and Craigs List. A lot of schools off their inventory that still has a lot of life in them. I'm running them right now..

Honestly you may just save yourself some grief by seeing if you can get approved for some no interest financing and get a new computer. You could pick and scrape at tweaking the HP, end up spending half of what a decent new computer would run and still have to ditch it or shelve anyway due to an incompatibility you didn’t see coming. Plus with a new one you’re giving yourself 3-4 years of probably not having to sweat changes in software and hardware compatibility. PC, probably even longer. MAC is definitely shorter because they suck and purposefully make hardware become redundant to new software.

Ebay can be a great source of refurbished and upgraded PC’s that might only be a year or two old and they’re so much cheaper. I got my previous MAC off Ebay with great specs and got a good 4-5 years out of it and it was 1/3 to 1/4 of the price of a new one with better RAM and levels of storage. Alas, Apple did what they do and it eventually could no longer upgrade the OS or upgrade Logic (Tied in with the OS capability). So zero financed a new one. Just got an Air model, didn’t waste money on a Pro.

Also if you use the computer for everything you do, you may want to think about a machine centered around just recording music And not load it up with superfluous apps and software. I use my MAC for recording and an IPad for pretty much all day to day.
Whatever you end up with, I recommend an external or secondary drive for any sound files that are part of a library like drum software etc. Or even for your actual recording software audio files. Have the program itself on the main drive for the fastest performance. At least for me this has always worked well. Plus invest in a drive just for backing everything up.

Any laptop with a DVD drive (if they even exist anymore) can probably be modded to replace the DVD drive with a SSD. I had a MAC set up like this and it ran great putting all audio on the 2nd drive.

Might be time to upgrade the interface. A used Scarlett would be super cheap and sound really good. Behringer makes a good one iirc, with their Midas pre’s. The monitors may not matter a whole lot if you have to be quiet. I do like Yamaha monitors though, for rock and guitar music in general and they’re common used. Maybe money is better spent on some decent headphones? GC actually has a decent headphone demo display in their pro audio dept. where you can try a bunch from cheap to expensive to see what sounds good to you.

Last edited:
My Hp Pavilion is running Windows 7
You should have the 64-bit version (at least according to HP) if memory limitations are your concern. I want to make clear though that there could be some kind of other issue going on with your pc that these things may not rectify from easy(most times) to fix driver issues/conflicts or simple cleaning off dust/heatsinks to slightly more pain in the ass things like the hdd, cpu fan/heatsink, or power supply that may render putting more money into it probably not the greatest idea, but still cheap enough and doable for average diy. Even new (US) $200 would buy you something a lot better, $350-500 would net you a decent level laptop. Could build something nice for not much more than that.

Honestly you may just save yourself some grief by seeing if you can get approved for some no interest financing and get a new computer. You could pick and scrape at tweaking the HP, end up spending half of what a decent new computer would run and still have to ditch it or shelve anyway due to an incompatibility you didn’t see coming.
^ this ^

I picked up a refurbished Dell desktop from Woot.com a while back for a mere pittance. They're practically giving away desktop PCs now because no one except boomers, scientists, and home recording freaks are using them.

Grab a mid-range laptop or old SFF business PC from ebay guarunteed refurbished. Usually a 1-2 year warranty. The UX-1 will work fine for basics.

I picked up a refurbished Dell desktop from Woot.com a while back for a mere pittance. They're practically giving away desktop PCs now because no one except boomers, scientists, and home recording freaks are using them.

Looks like there are some desktop machines there for under $300 that would be a massive upgrade over the OP's current system, in terms of CPU, RAM, and OS.

...... using old Altec Lansing computer speakers and have not been happy with the sound for a long time and also try to use it for playing along to songs as well but that doesn't always work out that great.

Get some decent speakers. It'll be a huge difference over the A-L PC speakers

I'm looking for advice on how to improve my setup on a budget.....

It's been asked a couple times already, but I'll also ask: What's the budget?
Without at least a ballpark estimate you risk getting more advice that *you* decide will be beyond your budget, than ideas within your budget.

^ great points.
Cool site @Arch Stanton
I really need to get some good monitors.
This thread now has me getting out all of my old shit. I dusted off the UX1, found the Pod Farm CD, downloaded Audacity \:D/

You should have the 64-bit version (at least according to HP) if memory limitations are your concern. I want to make clear though that there could be some kind of other issue going on with your pc that these things may not rectify from easy(most times) to fix driver issues/conflicts or simple cleaning off dust/heatsinks to slightly more pain in the ass things like the hdd, cpu fan/heatsink, or power supply that may render putting more money into it probably not the greatest idea, but still cheap enough and doable for average diy. Even new (US) $200 would buy you something a lot better, $350-500 would net you a decent level laptop. Could build something nice for not much more than that.
Yes it's a 64-Bit Operating System, I just attached a pic of info on computer.

Attachments

• My HP Pavillion p6 Series Desktop Computer Specs 1-27-2024 Capture.JPG
    My HP Pavillion p6 Series Desktop Computer Specs 1-27-2024 Capture.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 16
I'll let the smart people answer computer related questions but your desktop is much better/faster than my old Sony Vaio.
You could try Audacity to see if there is any difference but I doubt it. It is pretty light weight though from what I remember.
Have you tried watching your Task Manager in real time while you work on songs - to see what is hogging your resources?

SSD Drives will make an old computer new again.. It's better to have a C Drive that's the same size as your backup, but that will get you started. At this stage in the game, everyone should have a backup Drive. I Clone my Drives once a week with Win 7 Backup and Restore in Control Panel. A 12th Gen CPU will run Win 11 and it comes installed, so cool. I have a 12th Gen and Win 11 is the latest.

A Desktop will always be better for the house IMO.. You can run a big Monitor and badass Video Cards.
It's a good buy that should last you years. I'm running a 2nd Gen on my Living Room and I've had it for a long time, it's at least 12 years old. I'm good until October of 2025 when Win 10 hits End Of Life..

So I'm looking on HP's site and came across this one:

HP Slim Desktop S01-pF2130st, Windows 11 Home, Intel® Core™ i3, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-slim-desktop-s01-pf2130st-bundle-pc

Any thoughts? I kinda like that it has a 1 TB HDD storage; 256 GB SSD storage
Didn't click the link but you are on the right path. I would splurge a bit more though and get an i7 processor. I think my HP laptop is i7 and 2T SSD (no HDD).

Back