Connecting eq pedal to fx loop

Mindys87

Hey everyone!

I have a stupid question, but i'm going to ask it anyway. Never used fx loop, now i got eq pedal and want to try it that way. Should the cable go from In on the pedal to send on the amp and from out to return or vice versa? Hope you understand what i'm trying to ask. Thank you.

OP - this rabbit hole can go deep if you want to dive in! Some things to learn about your amp's loop, EQ pedal and rig in general to get the most out of it:
  • Series vs parallel loop - most are series, if yours happens to be parallel- turn it to 100% wet
  • line level vs instrument level loop (some loops have switch to go from one to the other, fewer have adjustable send/return level via pot(s))
  • buffered vs true bypass EQ pedal (and any other pedal in the loop). If it's just the EQ, start with short patch cables and turn off pedal buffer if possible
  • pedal order in the loop if using more than just EQ pedal (hint: put delay next to last, reverb last, experiment w/EQ order)
  • where your loop sits in relation to amp's master volume control (if present on your amp)
  • solid state or tube buffer in you loop (if tube, type & quality tube can make a big difference of how noisy/quiet it is)
  • if you leave the EQ pedal on all the time & sitting on top of the amp with short patch cables, it's 9/18V power can cause hum/buzzing if it's right over the transformers- try moving a few inches away.
Good luck

OP - this rabbit hole can go deep if you want to dive in! Some things to learn about your amp's loop, EQ pedal and rig in general to get the most out of it:
  • Series vs parallel loop - most are series, if yours happens to be parallel- turn it to 100% wet
  • line level vs instrument level loop (some loops have switch to go from one to the other, fewer have adjustable send/return level via pot(s))
  • buffered vs true bypass EQ pedal (and any other pedal in the loop). If it's just the EQ, start with short patch cables and turn off pedal buffer if possible
  • pedal order in the loop if using more than just EQ pedal (hint: put delay next to last, reverb last, experiment w/EQ order)
  • where your loop sits in relation to amp's master volume control (if present on your amp)
  • solid state or tube buffer in you loop (if tube, type & quality tube can make a big difference of how noisy/quiet it is)
  • if you leave the EQ pedal on all the time & sitting on top of the amp with short patch cables, it's 9/18V power can cause hum/buzzing if it's right over the transformers- try moving a few inches away.
Good luck
Thank you for lots of tips!

This reminds me I just got another 6505+ and I need to get another 10 band. An EQ in the loop can make a $600 dollar amp hang or even smoke a $3k amp. Just turning one on with all the sliders neutral adds instant clarity

I’m in the minority; I’ve only resorted to using one in the loop if the amp doesn’t sound that good to begin with. Most loops are tone suckers and I find that for effects I’m much better off slaving.

Back