considering buying a mini desktop computer. what specs for recording these days?

JimAnsell

i'm so out of the tech loop. i use a microsoft surface 7 now for basic internet and word processing stuff. I'm considering buying a mini desktop for some small one man band type projects, and some light video editing of family stuff. can someone more in the know point me in the right direction as far as specs go? i'm not a gamer, and i don't need the most expnsive, fastest thing, i just need something that performs solid. apple is a hard sell but a lot of people seem to like them. last time i gave apple a chance was in 2010. i'm so used to pc, and was weirded out by things like the in ability to CUT and paste files, only copy and paste, then go back and delete. that alone drove me nuts. i don't know if it was just the os i had or if its still like that. would prefer to stay pc. anything to avoid?

I was going to say, not sure you need a desktop. The laptops these days are super fast and have a ton of storage. My HP Pavilion x360 convertible has similar specs as what PLX is saying. Added convenience of tablet mode, touch screen, backlit keyboard, and a 2 Terabit SSD internal storage.

I was recording full bands years ago on my old HP laptop that was already years old at that point and never had any problems, I don’t think you need anything too crazy for basic recording

Hell I used the very first model Surface Pro to record stuff in the past - are you running in to issues with the 7?

I just got a M2 MacBook Air and running Logic. But I agree with the Mac Mini suggestion. I needed portability so got the laptop. If I didn’t I would have got the Mini.

I run an Intel Corei7-6700 CPU @ 3.4Ghz with 32Gb RAM

It's more than enough to run ReaperDAW

(y)
I got the Corei7 6700 also . Probably about 5 or 6 years old by now but no issues with getting what I need done. Will only upgrade to win 11 when Microsoft no longer offers security updates for Win 10 .

Every MS release they take away more user control . I also use Linux .

Hello sir!

Most DAWs these days are really efficient. For example Reaper honestly can run on a potato! I've ran reaper on a RasperyPI for 14 days straight for a podcast

There are a few variables that will impact your decision:

- The Processor spec is really important if you wish to record via Amp Sims at low latency. Also general latency for MIDI, general performance etc. For best bang for buck you can use this site to compare: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/ If you just plan to record Audio directly into a soundcard, your processor matters alot less.

- The RAM spec will depend on how many Kontakt libraries you want to load for example. But this is less important. 16gigs or more will do.

- The Disk Space will depend on whether you plan to record lots of takes and keep them stored. I would always recommend getting something with an internal SSD/NVME for the operating system, and a secondary SSD for Audio files. Then this should be backed up to a couple of spinning disk drives and stored safely. 1 Back up is none, 2 backups is 1!

- Windows? Mac? Linux??? I use all three, and honestly it's purely what you are most used to. Don't fall for "brand hype".

I'd recommend a high end Small Form Factor ex-office PC/Workstation. Something like an HP EliteDesk or MacMini. With the Elitedesk, you can add another drive, upgrade parts etc. Mac Minis are pretty locked down and soldered to the motherboard and often loose hardware support, but are still solid choices.

I got the Corei7 6700 also . Probably about 5 or 6 years old by now but no issues with getting what I need done. Will only upgrade to win 11 when Microsoft no longer offers security updates for Win 10 .

Every MS release they take away more user control . I also use Linux .
I have a WinXP box under my desk that they will have to pry outta my cold, dead hands.

💾

• Haha
Reactions: ccn
I just grabbed the Mac Studio. It’s fast and runs great. I had a blazing fast PC but apps were running bogusly on it. The ox box and its software were a shit show of epic proportions. Pretty much everything I tried had some serious hiccups. With the Mac Studio everything has run flawless. I also grabbed a 4tb external SSD. So using that with the Mac Studio is perfect.

Grabbed a used pair of Yamaha hx7. They sound very good.

If you have a kid or know a student I think apple still offers a student or education discount.

With no discount, it’s 2k, and its specs are great. With a 4tb external SSD you are good to go.

Recently went thru this. My 2010 MacBook Pro is dying. Came down to Mini M2 Pro or another MBP. I went MBP because I like moving it around the house, with the freedom to take with if needed.
Plus, it has an HDMI port for a bigger monitor at my music room desk.

If those thing aren't important, I'd say Mini M2 Pro is the way to go. The Mac Mini, not Pro, is super powerful. But slows down when taxed with multi tracks or video editing. Probably nothing I'd notice, but I figure if I'm gonna live with it for 7+ years, may as well be sure.

The price difference between a Mini M2 Pro with all accessories and the MBP 14" was $380. If one can get by with the Mac Mini, the $ difference is substantial, and totally worth going for the Mac Mini.

Edited to say I went with the 512gb ssd and 16gb ram. I have a 2tb external ssd. The bigger 512gb ssd runs quite a bit faster.

And while we're here, if I can hijack...
Logic vs GarageBand for hobby at home?

Also, got a SSL 12 interface. Haven't recorded yet, but so far, playing things back, it sounds good compared to my Apogee Duet. Maybe not as warm. Looking forward to putting it thru the paces, recording with it.

Last edited:
I'm a Mac guy so obviously I agree with most of what the other Mac guys have said.

Sorry but I've got nothin' else Jim. :dunno:

Mac studio is great. Having owned the mac pro line multiple times and having a pimped out macbook pro, the mac studio gives you a small footprint and an ass ton of power.

Back