cool pedal tone riffs (based on chords)

stefvorcide

Hey guys i've been practicing lately the intro riff of SPEED by brazillean band Angra, and it's pretty cool sounding and tough (challenging)

Here Kiko Loureiro shows how it was written: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usc4Z9EZQoE

Is there any other similar riffs to that??

there's the post solo of Virtual Emotions by Martyr which is similar pattern but not quite.

Please no At-The-Gates pedal tone riffs with open strings, its been done over and over, everything after JP Painkiller is redundant imho

Cheers :cheers:
-STEF

pedal tone riffs? honestly ill tell you where to look for inspiration, and thats baroque period classical music - organs and piano. its chocked full of nothing but pedal tone playing, including call and return styles as well which really gets it complicated to transcribe to guitar.

i took a paul gilbert piece i found and transcribed it into pedal tone - more similar to what you would see yngwie play.

just my .02 - pedal tones can be put into different keys but only sound good in certain modes imho....its a limiting factor since you have to be able to fit them into a song or piece and not just anywhere.

stefvorcide":35lv4izb said:
Maybe i was not clear, but I wasnt talking about your regular/generic pedal tone riffs

:rock:

i dont consider the youtube link you posted as a pedal tone...however structure wise it sounds alot like a practice piece i wrote for in the key of Am

there was a thread i posted it in recently called epic practice thread or something of the sorts, go take a look and see what you think Stef :)

Ahh i think i know what you are talking about.

All he is doing is holding the root note in the bass over a power chord, except he is doing it in the same riff at the same time himself without another instrument or layer of overdub. Like i said before those riffs only sound good in certain modes, here he is in E and A which is really common. What more are you looking for out of it? :dunno:

Back