Cool way of thinking of 9, #11, 13 extensions

Dallas Marlow

Hey guys,

I'm working on playing the extensions with 7th chords and found a really neat way to think of it for others trying to learn from it.

So lets say you have a Bb7 chord Bb D F Ab right? Well all you need to know for the 9, #11, 13 is either think of the 9th if you already know that (C) or think of it as whatever the 2nd scale degree is diatonic to the key again C, and build a major triad off of it.

So it gives you C E G, it's #11 because remember in the key of Bb you have Bb and Eb, so diatonically you have a Eb rather than the E natural in the C major triad. In effect just build a major triad off the 9th (2nd scale degree raised an octave) and over whatever chord your playing you will automatically know those three extensions! Kind of a nifty trick if you want to think of it that way!

Dallas

Neat trick man!! but on the fly I think it's hard... I guess practice makes better

Lately I try to use 9, 11, 13s on my arpegios, to enhance the modes (9,11,13 over a minor arpegio for dorian, 9b, 11 or 13b for phrygian) it sounds awesome and more rich.

if it doesn't make any sence I can tab some stuff out.

edit: Fuck, I can't believe this post was a month old and no replies??

Another way to think of the extensions, is the "left over" scale notes. So if a fundamental dominant 7th chord takes up 1,3,5,b7 ... the notes that are left over from the 7 note mixo scale are the extensions. (9,11,13) The scale only has 7 notes ...

That 9 really adds to the dimension of chords, and especially arpeggios.

I remember Joe Satriani talking about "Always with me, Always with you" and explaining, "Look, it's just a I-IV-V in B, but what I did is add an 11th to the B, and if memory serves correct some inversion on the E and a Sus4 on the F#. Just a great example of how you can take a simple I-IV-V and add a whole new dimension to the sound with a couple well-placed notes.

(Oh, and if any of this is wrong, feel free to correct--theory isn't my long suit.)

Cheers,

Back