cranked the Hagen

scruffydoo

So this weekend I got my first chance to really test my Hagen at decent volume, I'm not a metal guy, I play classic/modern rock everything from The Who to Muse and have had loads of good amps.

I have to say this is definitely one of the best I've played, very organic hard rock gain voicing and not sterile or brittle on any channel at all (which I was kind of unfairly expecting). Getting some volume on it really opens it up although it also sounds great at TV vol I think, it's a very clean sounding gain without any extra noisy artefacts or string noise and very quiet for a high gainer to the point I didn't use a gate once or feel the need to constantly tweak or fight the amp. I particularly liked all the controls which work very well and actually do make a difference to the sound, unlike a lot of amps.

There's something going on with it, not sure what, but Ch2 feels super lively and just wants to be battered with big power chords, Ch3 is just raw hard rock and Ch4 is all modern high gain and pretty much plays itself yet still maintains good note definition even with complex chords. I A/B'd it with my PT100 intending to do a thorough test, but 5 mins in, switched the PT off ;)

Anway just thought I'd share for possible buyers as there's not much info about Hagen out there. A very very fine amplifier indeed and a pleasure to play.

Thanks for the rip and report!! :2thumbsup:

Channel 2 is a big channel, eh?? And for sure, she's brilliant past noon. Glad you dig it...

Here's to more Hagen love on the boards!! :D

Uncle Mo

Great post.

There is an unnamed gear slut on here that has a Hagen and VH4S. He speaks nothing but praise of the Hagen. Seems like Diezel hit a bases loaded homer with this one.

Heritage Softail":49d8c9a8 said:
Great post.

There is an unnamed gear slut on here that has a Hagen and VH4S. He speaks nothing but praise of the Hagen. Seems like Diezel hit a bases loaded homer with this one.
Unnamed :hys:

Ventura":103h3f0w said:
Heritage Softail":103h3f0w said:
Great post.

Ok....We will Keep in secluded....Call him "Uncle 'M' ".....
:LOL: :LOL:

Mailman1971":333q6b5z said:
Ventura":333q6b5z said:
Heritage Softail":333q6b5z said:
Great post.

The hilarious part is that he was posting the same time I was. I was his post in the window. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Heritage Softail":3nldb8u6 said:
Mailman1971":3nldb8u6 said:
Ventura":3nldb8u6 said:
Heritage Softail":3nldb8u6 said:
Great post.

The hilarious part is that he was posting the same time I was. I was his post in the window. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Yeh....."Uncle M" is one of the good eggs here... :LOL: :LOL:

Just to clarify I'm a hobby guy so I can't comment on band mixes which will no doubt get different results.

I prefer the clean on the PT but I like my clean a bit thick and not so glassy, saying that it's pretty close. Crunch and gain I definitely prefer the Hagen which is a lot smoother, I've found the PT to be a bit harsh and bit too bright for me but to be fair I'm using a mesa V30 cab which it's not really designed for. I'm so impressed with the Hagen I'll probably move the PT along as I just can't see me playing it much.

Back