D-Tuna on a Floating Floyd?

With a tremol-no you have to actually block the trem (dive-only) before you downtune with the d-tuna. And the worst part, when not downtuned and not blocked, when pulling up the d-tuna will immediately touch wood as it protudes a lot from the tremolo. So either way, you lose pulling up or you have to route your guitar and still lose the fully floating tremolo when downtuning.

manyaxes":17pe4gz6 said:
With a tremol-no you have to actually block the trem (dive-only) before you downtune with the d-tuna. And the worst part, when not downtuned and not blocked, when pulling up the d-tuna will immediately touch wood as it protudes a lot from the tremolo. So either way, you lose pulling up or you have to route your guitar and still lose the fully floating tremolo when downtuning.

Pretty much. I can only pull up about a quarter step now, basically just enough for a little whammy vibrato. Installing a D-tuna basically turns your trem into a dive-only guitar. I even had to route the trem cavity a little with a dremel since the tremol-no was rubbing against the body when I did a full dive.

It really depends how important it is to have a dropped-D locking trem guitar

I used to have a Jackson with a Floyd that I had a D-Tuna and a Tremsetter installed on. I would do it with a Tremol-No now but it actually worked pretty fine. I also had a cavity routed out behind the D-Tuna so it could pull up :thumbsup:

You can do it with one of the 'backstop' type of devices....where there is a spring-loaded 'bumper' against the up-travel.

The Ibanez ZR trems float and allow d-tuners. Works pretty well. Although I thing that trem takes away plenty of zing from the guitar.

I'm putting one on a flush-mounted Floyd soon, but have heard it's difficult to use one on a free-floating unit.

Back