Dan Gower Jose mod info?

ledvedder

I've been building and modding my own amps over the past few years. I just came across this video, which features a Dan Gower Jose mod, and I absolutely love the tone! I realize there's other pieces to the puzzle, but I'm wondering if any has info (schematic, layout, etc) about this specific mod?

I’d think it’s a mix of the Jose schem that’s out there and maybe some of the fortin cali mod stuff, although I’d think it’s been tweaked over time. I’ve yet to find any gutshots of one.

I've been building and modding my own amps over the past few years. I just came across this video, which features a Dan Gower Jose mod, and I absolutely love the tone! I realize there's other pieces to the puzzle, but I'm wondering if any has info (schematic, layout, etc) about this specific mod?

I find the clip to be very dark. I like the sound, but in a mix I’d have to think it would get washed quite a bit.

I agree with Chubbs. Probably a slight variation to the typical Jose mod and how Fortin might voice some of his older mods. My guess is if you took a look at the guts of that amp, it wouldn't be anything surprising.

I vaguely remember Fortin and Gower working together? Like years ago, the partnered and when people in Europe wanted a Fortin mod, they would send their amps to Gower for the work or something? I could be mistaken.

I agree with Chubbs. Probably a slight variation to the typical Jose mod and how Fortin might voice some of his older mods. My guess is if you took a look at the guts of that amp, it wouldn't be anything surprising.

I vaguely remember Fortin and Gower working together? Like years ago, the partnered and when people in Europe wanted a Fortin mod, they would send their amps to Gower for the work or something? I could be mistaken.
Yeah that’s how it worked. Fortin needed someone to offer designs for clientele overseas, so they partnered. The two of them designed the killer cali++ from my recollection.

This is basically what I have now, along with an added push/pull mosfet gain stage in front of V1, with a 2n2 output cap. The added stage is very similar to an extra tube stage, running at about 230v.

Could I also add zeners to the ppimv to get something similar?

Attachments

• Plexi51-All-Access-29-Dec-2020.jpg
    Plexi51-All-Access-29-Dec-2020.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 99
This is basically what I have now, along with an added push/pull mosfet gain stage in front of V1, with a 2n2 output cap. The added stage is very similar to an extra tube stage, running at about 230v.

Could I also add zeners to the ppimv to get something similar?
Watch the tonetalk with Dan. They discuss joes amp and some more specifics regarding the various versions of the Jose. Can’t remember specifics but I think there was some weird stuff going on with his loop if your going for that exact sound.

Watch the tonetalk with Dan. They discuss joes amp and some more specifics regarding the various versions of the Jose. Can’t remember specifics but I think there was some weird stuff going on with his loop if your going for that exact sound.
Yeah, I know an insert loop was added at the CF where he ran a PCM41 for more gain.

Guessing it’s a fairly typical Jose circuit with some tweaks based on Dan’s taste. Can also imagine a lot of the values and tweaks will be based on what amp he’s starting with and fine tuning that by ear based on how each individual amp sounds.

in your position, I think it’s either best to experiment with values and try getting as close as you can yourself, or to pay Dan to mod it and study what’s going on (I’m guessing that’s what Eddy Lenz did to further his knowledge and work out what he likes).

Ed is right, you need to tweak by ear when modding donor amps. No two (old) Marshall's sound exactly the same, so jamming in the exact same mod from amp to amp will not yield the same result. Every mod I do is tweaked in some way by ear for that amp.

Back