D'Avanzo and Sully Guitars

Hooligan

Both these builders are small boutique builders. I have watched several of Sully's live videos and he is definitely a serious dude that loves guitars and takes his craft seriously. I don't know much about D'VAvanzo but what I heard and read is he, like Sully, is. serious guitar builder that takes pride in his craftsmanship. Sully does a great job of putting a more modern influence in his craftsmanship which is cool. If you have an experience with either of these builders and/or have purchased or played one of their fine instruments please share your thoughts. Thanks!!

I got two Super strats from Mike D'Avanzo in 2006 and they are rock solid professionally built . I`ve been more than happy with them over the years and Mike is a great guy

evJZbxxl.jpg
bVWDncNl.jpg

Last edited:
I got two Super strats from Mike D'Avanzo in 2006 and they are rock solid professionally built . I`ve been more than happy with them over the years and Mike is a great guy

evJZbxxl.jpg
bVWDncNl.jpg
I appreciate the feedback. How is the fretwork? And also how about neck profile? Did you request a certain profile and/or does he have a standard profile, if you customized your profile how close did he get to it? Big ups! 👍

I appreciate the feedback. How is the fretwork? And also how about neck profile? Did you request a certain profile and/or does he have a standard profile, if you customized your profile how close did he get to it? Big ups! 👍
It’s been a while but if I remember correctly they’re both 12” radius, standard C shape. The fretwork was immaculate . I didn’t ask for anything customized

Well those a beautiful instruments and the craftsmanship and your care is apparent. Thanks for sharing! Definitely has gotten me thinking. The instruments on the website are impressive. Salute! 🤘

D’Avanzos are fantastic.

I picked this up in a trade, and it became my main guitar. Mahogany body/ maple cap, maple neck with ebony board, stainless steel frets.

Plays effortlessly.

I own an Anderson and have had a couple of Suhrs and Mike’s stuff is right there.

Good dude too-I had some questions and he was very responsive and super cool.

IMG_2680.jpeg

D’Avanzos are fantastic.

I picked this up in a trade, and it became my main guitar. Mahogany body/ maple cap, maple neck with ebony board, stainless steel frets.

Plays effortlessly.

I own an Anderson and have had a couple of Suhrs and Mike’s stuff is right there.

Good dude too-I had some questions and he was very responsive and super cool.

View attachment 277652
That is a looker for sure.... Thanks for the response.... Definitely giving it a think over... Sounds like there is a 6 month wait right now, considering all that isn't to bad.... Thank you!

John "Sully" Sullivan is Grade A. He was one of the main guys in the old Jackson / Charvel Forum and went deep into building, some sort of apprenticeship w Grover Jackson from what I understand but that may need fact checking. His guitars are killer.

D'Avanzo is a member here and the guitars he has for sale right now in the classifieds are something. That purple P90 rig is just ridiculous.

I have an older custom built Sully Raven. Plus 100 on what Velcro said, Sully is top notch. I'll post up some pics later. Met him at NAMM in 2018, super cool guy.

There was a D'avanzo JD in the classifieds and it was GORGEOUS. he's had a couple for sale in here, look like really great guitars.

John "Sully" Sullivan is Grade A. He was one of the main guys in the old Jackson / Charvel Forum and went deep into building, some sort of apprenticeship w Grover Jackson from what I understand but that may need fact checking. His guitars are killer.

D'Avanzo is a member here and the guitars he has for sale right now in the classifieds are something. That purple P90 rig is just ridiculous.
Aw, thanks!

I didn't apprentice with GJ, though; we became pals and did a limited run of my '71 Trella model in 2016.

Sully

To my eyes I like the looks of D'avanzo more. Never played either though. That tele shape D'avanzo has is pretty cool to me

Back