Decatone vs. SLO

ubermetaldood

Banned
I have seen a lot of talk in the past regarding the Decatone vs. SLO. I remember this over-the-top dude named Lynn Bird or something over on TGP who kept saying pretty much that all amps are shit compared to the SLO. He was a Soldano dealer and I was wanting to buy a Decatone but he pissed in my ear for like 30 minutes straight about the SLO being the supreme amp and all. Then when I was researching discussion boards and reviews, people were always saying the same thing: "Decatone is great but it's not an SLO." or something to that effect.

Well I owned a 2008 SLO and it was too loud so I sold it and ended up buying a Decatone later on. My first impression of the Decatone certainly broke the mold of what you usually read on the Internet. The Decatone had an absolutely gorgeous clean channel. The crunch channel was simply amazing and very versatile all on its own. The gain channel kind of reminded me of the Lucky 13 overdrive but more saturated. Wow! What an amazing amp. It wasn't as loud as an SLO, but the brightness was also a little more tame. Sometimes the SLO was a bit too bright if I didn't use the right speakers. The SLO has amazing definition. I can't say that the Decatone has that same degree of definition, and I suppose it's because is slightly more compressed and darker, but it still has exceptional definition.

The FX loops were another thing I remember seeing a lot about. Some people said the SLO effects loop was better, etc... but I found the Decatone FX loop to be pretty quiet. My SLO used to have just a little bit of noise in the FX loop when you were running the volume low, but the Decatone was very pedal friendly in the FX loop.

After owning them both, I realized that most of the Internet talk is done by people who probably never even played both of them. I also found out that a lot of people were not running the master volume high. On the Decatone, you pretty much turn the master volume all the way up and leave it like that.

Maybe this sounds crazy but I actually prefer the Decatone over the SLO. It's more flexible, it has an immaculate clean channel, plus it's like $1000 less than an SLO. Though it doesn't get a bad rap, I don't think it gets enough respect. After all these years and all these great amps out there like the Diezels, Wizards, Ecstasy 20th's, etc... the freaking Decatone is STILL magnificent.

Well hell, that's my take. Who here has really honestly given both a fair shake and what is your opinion?

You're not alone. When I got my Deca, I had two SLO halfstacks. After a month, both SLO's and one of the 4x12's went bye-bye; saved the other 4x12 for the Deca. When the band imploded, I sold the rig. But in that particular band (classic & hard rock covers), the Deca worked better for the song material.

I just sold my SLO. It was the best sounding/feeling amp I've had. But it is also worth 2500...can I get a great tone out of my Marshall for 1500 less? Yes..and that's why I sold it. Emergency home repair dictated quick cash and I knew the SLO was going to give me that. Just don't gig enough anymore to justify keeping it and I won't get rid of my favorite Marshall..I have an '81 JMP 2203 coming and one of the 2203s will go..but one will ALWAYS stay. Just have to have ONE great sounding Marshall..used to have a HR 100 and it sounded great too...

The SLO is probably my most missed amp, but it's damn annoying that the FX loop is what it is and in truth I only found it suited towards lead playing.

I had an SLO , great amp and wish I could afford another one but right now it's just not possible .
But I like my HR100+ with MM iron in it just as good , I find the Hot Rod amps sound more like a modified old school amp verses the SLO that has more of a HIFI kind tone to it with the DeYoung iron .
Both are great amps and have that Soldano singing lead tone , but just slightly different tastes in my opinion.

JB6464":1lfs3xsq said:
I had an SLO , great amp and wish I could afford another one but right now it's just not possible .
But I like my HR100+ with MM iron in it just as good , I find the Hot Rod amps sound more like a modified old school amp verses the SLO that has more of a HIFI kind tone to it with the DeYoung iron .
Both are great amps and have that Soldano singing lead tone , but just slightly different tastes in my opinion.

I don't know man. I never thought of the SLO as a hi-fi amp. It has incredible definition but to me sounds like an old school amp. Have you tried a Lucky 13? The overdrive channel on that is the closest thing Soldano makes to a Marshall. It's very, very cool.

I had a Slo and a Decatone, I loved the first two channels of the Decatone but thought the third channel lacked the Mojo of the SLO. I always thought the perfect Soldano would have the first two from the Decatone and the Slo overdrive channel.

supersonic":1qrs4p9k said:
I had a Slo and a Decatone, I loved the first two channels of the Decatone but thought the third channel lacked the Mojo of the SLO. I always thought the perfect Soldano would have the first two from the Decatone and the Slo overdrive channel.

Almost my exact experience. But just take the 2nd channel from the Decatone and add more gain to it instead of its current 3rd channel.

ubermetaldood":50fggx9b said:
JB6464":50fggx9b said:

I don't know man. I never thought of the SLO as a hi-fi amp. It has incredible definition but to me sounds like an old school amp. Have you tried a Lucky 13? The overdrive channel on that is the closest thing Soldano makes to a Marshall. It's very, very cool.

What i meant is the power section in Soldano amps remain clean and defined verses Marshall amps , then add the nice military grade DeYoung iron to it and delivers like a precision made bullet.
I agree the SLO has the old school vibe to it as well but with better quality transformers on top of that , much clearer sounding and defined at higher volumes than the MM iron.
MM transformers to me sounds more like traditional old school amps iron when driven at their sweet spot , not as defined as the DeYoung iron but still quality made with a nice tone to them .
I find one not better than the other , just different for whatever your needs are.

How do you measure Tranny Tone ? :confused:

I was checking Decatone Utewbs and that amp didn't sound that great for 2K.

However this SLO clip with a Burny Sykes LP makes me horny.

Back