Developing finger independence

HowMuchYaBench

This one might be related to the other thread I just started in this section (viewtopic.php?f=69&t=136253), but I've noticed that my middle, ring and pinky fingers seem to be pretty seriously linked when it comes to finger movement, perhaps even more than most people. It's especially noticeable in the obvious ring/pinky combo.

Another observation: if I put all four of my fingers down across four frets, I can lift each on at least an inch of the fretboard (with the others still down), EXCEPT my ring finger, which comes off no more than a centimeter.

I'm sure other people are in the same boat, so what do you guys do to really get these guys moving on their own?

Play chromatic scales slowly, with a metronome (very important to use a metronome). Increase the tempo, as you master the technique. Start at 40bmp and move up the neck and down the neck, increasing the tempo by 10bpm. Make it a 30 minute practice, but rest if your hand begins to cramp. It may take a while to build the endurance. Pay attention and relax the tension in your fretting hand, as you play. As you get better practice triplets in the mode, or scale of your choice, up and down the neck.

I am new here and I found this topic Finger Independence quite interesting. Can anyone give me details on this?

Back