Did my Marshall BV cab just blow ?

Techdeth

RESIDENT ROCK PROFESSOR
I’ve never blown a cab sexually or musically until maybe now . It just stopped. Period . I tried the whole rig with another cab and all is well . New territory for me . Any help would be appreciated. This is not my territory.

You've got to be kidding ! It's probably the jack or a broken wire. Tear the back off of it and take a look!
Everything looks good . It just stopped . And ya I’ve never had a problem with a cab ever in my life. You should stop by

Does the input cable actually make a decent contact on the internals? Do the speakers move if you put a 9 volt battery on them? Like Griff said, if visually OK I’d see what a VOM says.

Probably a connection at or near the jack. Do you have a 9v? If so you can touch that to the cable to get cone movement.

I’ve never blown a cab sexually or musically until maybe now . It just stopped. Period . I tried the whole rig with another cab and all is well . New territory for me . Any help would be appreciated. This is not my territory.
Don't forget to cup the balls(casters) & beware of the Gentleman's Relish.

Get a Digital Multimeter and check it out. Even a cheap DMM from Harbor Freight should last long enough to at least check three of the four speakers.

Set it to read ohms and check the wires on the jack. If it's wrong or blank, pull wires and test the speakers.

If you have the stock Marshall mono/stereo option switchable input jack(which all 1960A/Bs have since 1991) they are known to go bad from time to time. You can try contact cleaner to the cab jacks, different cables, and try switching it to mono 8 ohm input to see if the board is bad only on the 16ohm mono side....but be careful as your amp won't see a load if one or more of these issues are present.
Best move is to pull the jack plate, and re do it 16 ohm mono.

Yeah, those Marshall boards go bad all the time. It's better to wire it directly to a jack and gut that board.
2012-02-23 17.37.17.jpg

Back