Diezel Herbert Versions

Does the mk1 sizzle out on its high end as you crank the masters?

I gotta mk2 buy hence seeing many people owning a mk1 original I have no idea what am missing out....

As I found out that my mk2 isn't just an ordinary mk2... it has two high pass caps parallel on two resistors on the PV of V1 and V2 .... its to filter out the high end... and have more openess after discussing with Peter Diezel, tried it and ended up putting the caps back...

I recall watching John browne comparison as he showed pics of the Intenals and seems like his Mk2 didn't come with the two caps...

And John browne too like better his Mk1 ... but like he mention mk1 if gain is cranked it gets saturated for a fair amount... but I didn't hear my mk2 getting saturated... it just remains as tight and clear.... I recently found a maxon od808 tightens up immensely ...

Last edited:
Does the mk1 sizzle out on its high end as you crank the masters?

I gotta mk2 buy hence seeing many people owning a mk1 original I have no idea what am missing out....

As I found out that my mk2 isn't just an ordinary mk2... it has two filter caps parallel on two resistors on the PV of V1 and V2 .... its to filter out the high end... and have more openess after discussing with Peter Diezel, tried it and ended up putting the caps back...

I recall watching John browne comparison as he showed pics of the Intenals and seems like his Mk2 didn't come with the two caps...

And John browne too like better his Mk1 ... but like he mention mk1 if gain is cranked it gets saturated for a fair amount... but I didn't hear my mk2 getting saturated... it just remains as tight and clear.... I recently found a maxon od808 tightens up immensely ...
Mk 2 is still great , but 1 and 3 are my favs . And these days I love both .

I recently seen the new video of the Hagen and it sound killer!! Is more so than a Herbert and VH4? Mmmm....
I liked the Hagen the least compared to the VH4 and Herbert. I don't think it sits between the Herbert and VH4 at all; it is more open, but also looser than both. I found it tricky to dial in and absolutely needed a boost with it.

I liked the Hagen the least compared to the VH4 and Herbert. I don't think it sits between the Herbert and VH4 at all; it is more open, but also looser than both. I found it tricky to dial in and absolutely needed a boost with it.
Thought people always but the Hagen as a hybrid between VH4 and Herbert....

I wrote a long two-part review comparing the VH4 and Hagen in this forum a few months back, that may give you some info. And for me, yes...I feel like the Hagen has some Herbert DNA in it.

Ya, I didn't get that feel at all with the Hagen. I mean....all three are Diezels, so there is absolutely going to be some circuit and tone commonality between them, but they do respond different.

For me, I like tight and immediate. My favorite amps are Wizards, Fryettes, Mesa Marks and of Diezels, the VH4. Seems to be some conflicting opinion, so my suggestion would be to try one if you can!

I own two Herberts MK1 (with external bias points which I think is preferable in the long run) and a VH4. I have owned a Hagen as well. To me the Hagen has a more fender-like ch 1 compared to the Herbert or VH4. The Hagen Ch3 sound more gritty and not as defined as the the VH4 ch3 or the Herbert Ch2+, I still prefer the two latter.

I think Hagen is still one he** of an amp though, and I could easily have just been happy with just having that amp. It's perhaps the most versatile Diezel amp in my opinon. A little more Marshally sounding and it shines especially with single coil pickups I would say. Sorry for the many posts..

Back