Difference between roasted 3A vs roasted 5A vs normalroasted

balaguitar

Hi. First post here. I was browsing through this website humbuckermusic.com under custom suhr section. I came across 3 different types of roasted maple necks. One is just "roasted maple", the other two being roasted 3A and roasted 5A necks with different price points. I am just curious to know the differences between these three types of necks. Which is better and why? Thank you

It's just the grade of figuring in the neck. Same as you see with tops being 3A, 4A etc.. Figuring can have tonal differences but possibly not much with roasting. I'm not certain. The flame or Birdseye is actually imperfections in the wood which is why I stay away from figured necks. Roasting them does make them stable :thumbsup: They feel nice as well.

Oh thanks for your reply. I'm planning to get my first custom made guitar and unaware of some terminologies here. By the term "figuring", u mean the design is different from 3A with that of 5A? Sorry if I'm being stupid here :p

balaguitar":1w50isc6 said:
Oh thanks for your reply. I'm planning to get my first custom made guitar and unaware of some terminologies here. By the term "figuring", u mean the design is different from 3A with that of 5A? Sorry if I'm being stupid here :p
Figuring is the flame or Birdseye in the wood.

Back