Do I want a Bogner 212C?

djpatb

I want to get a 2x12 cab mainly for those times when space is limited on stage, and when I need something that'll fit in my car if I have to move it by myself.
I know the 212C sounds really good, but it's only a little bit smaller and lighter than a 412.
So...is there anything that's a little bit more portable and sounds almost as big? Or should I just get the 212C and be done with it? Thanks.

Personally for me I would get something else unless I found a great deal on a used Bogner 2x12.

I have window shopped 2x12 quite a bit because I want one at some point but not playing these I cannot say what sounds "better" but just a few other options:

Zilla: I hear these are amazing, they have different models but the Fatboy is the one I hear about most. It is 61lbs and is $445 Loaded with V30's.

760 x 470 x 360 This says in CM and I think there is an error somewhere because google tells me 760 cm = 299 inches and there is no way that is going to be accurate.

Earcandy Buzzbomb: 50 lbs and they range from $630 with no features to $910 fully loaded with custom colors, casters and what not. I also hear these are amazing cabs.

Height – 18″
Width – 28″
Depth – 16″
Weight – 50 lbs loaded with most speakers.

Port City Wave OS is 59lbs and is $845 or $895 for a custom color cab.

Width: 30"
Depth: 11.875"
Height: 24.75"
Weight (loaded:) 59 lbs
Weight (unloaded:) 43 lbs

The Bogner is $850 and from what I can find online they are 79lbs but I can't find that on Bogner site so it could be off?

Dimensions: 25-3/4"H x 29-3/4"W x 11-7/8"D

I imagine the shipping on the Zilla cab will be a lot coming from Europe, hopefully not so much to offset the savings but these are all OS cabs. Depending on shipping the Zilla may be the best sounding for the price? I really wish I could get the true dimensions on those. If it were me I would go for the Port City considering size, cost and weight. Assuming money was no object.

TL;DR I can't say what you would like best, size seems to be an issue so what I would do is compare a regular 2x12 VS and Oversized 2x12 in a store and go from there depending on the difference in sound.

The Earcandy may be the most "portable" OS cab out of the ones I mentioned because of the smaller height.

it won't take up less space on stage than a 4x12 and won't really be easier to carry around since it weighs nearly as much. But that extra few inches less in height can make a big difference depending on your car/truck. I think that's what it boils down to.

cardinal":2o3nmh6k said:
it won't take up less space on stage than a 4x12 and won't really be easier to carry around since it weighs nearly as much. But that extra few inches less in height can make a big difference depending on your car/truck. I think that's what it boils down to.

Agree on the height difference but 30-40 pounds difference between a 4x12 and a 2x12 on average. That is a lot of weight for someone to carry by themselves unless you are a meatheat :LOL: :LOL:

cardinal":n5lau3q9 said:
I have a Stone Age 2x12C and this pretty much sums it up for me. I lay the cab on it's back in my little Honda and need the extra room. But other than that I've always kinda thought; "This thing is almost as big and heavy as a 4x12, what's the point?"

Bogner says the 2x12C weighs 70 pounds and is 24.24" high. A Marshall 4x12 weighs around 80-90 pounds and is 29" high or so, I think.

cardinal":ht29dgie said:
Bogner says the 2x12C weighs 70 pounds and is 24.24" high. A Marshall 4x12 weighs around 80-90 pounds and is 29" high or so, I think.

Yeah but that is comparing one of the lightest 4x12's and one of the heaviest 2x12's. I guess it just depends on how you want to look at it so I go for an average.

My 4x12 is 119 pounds and the Earcandy 2x12 is 50 pounds.

Depending on what 4x12 you are using and what not it could be no difference at all or it could be a huge difference. 10 pounds isn't much but 20-30 for me by myself is a big difference. In my application it would be almost a 70 pound difference :LOL: :LOL: 2x12 sounds really good to me.

I've read some reviews saying the Bogner 212C sounds better than most 412's.
But anyway...
Any ideas on a more compact 212 that still has decent low end thump?
Anyone have good results with a vertical 212?

djpatb":3fsj52jh said:
I've read some reviews saying the Bogner 212C sounds better than most 412's.
But anyway...
Any ideas on a more compact 212 that still has decent low end thump?
Anyone have good results with a vertical 212?

One of the best 212s around IMO. Sounds great!!!!

Some thoughts:

- Size and sound trade off (when 'quality' of materials is held constant). Bigger is better.
- A vertical cab will weigh the same but will have a smaller footprint on stage.
- the THD 212 is a small cab that people seem to like
- The Engl Pro Slanted is also 70 lbs but might be a good option because you can get a vertical one
- Z Best cab can be vertical or horizontal and weighs 'only' 64 lbs.

If your dead set on a 2x12 I would honestly get a boogie recto 2x12, probably one of the best smaller cabs on the market and sound great. I've got a couple old Ada 2x12's loaded with v30's and they do what there supposed to do.

been looking and listening for months now too on this subject....

You have options:

Zilla fanboys are $850 shipped to USA with v30's, $890 with cream backs...That is what P quoted me not too long ago, Same kinda goes for most overseas cabs.
Splawn 2x12 is $625-675.
Mesa is $649 new
KSR is $675...
Fryette Deliverance 212

All are in the same ballpark new price...Kyle makes nice stuff...So does Scott. Just depends the sound you are after. I've owned a Splawn 2x12 VHT Fatbottom a Mesa 2x12 years ago. I preferred the Splawn. VHT was second....It was very light, tight and it rocked. Splawn has a more distant sound...the mesa I had sounded boxy.

Just some thought...

The Bogner OS 2x12 is one of the best I have personally ever tried. They do sound really great. Easy to move also with the side handles.

I have a Mesa Recto 2x12 also. It sounds really great too but the Bogner just sounds better IMO.

The other option is the Bogner 212CB. Exactly the bottom half of a 4x12 and it sounds mighty! It is much lighter and very easy to get around with. I gig with mine all the time and really like it. Easily the best 212 I have ever owned.

PBGas":2ktwe5xl said:
The other option is the Bogner 212CB. Exactly the bottom half of a 4x12 and it sounds mighty! It is much lighter and very easy to get around with. I gig with mine all the time and really like it. Easily the best 212 I have ever owned.

yup another option....where do you even get those? Straight from the man himself?

I owned both the bogner and the port city os 2x12 for a month or so. Both had v30s. They were really close sound wise, but I preferred the port city for its wider dispersion and better low end response. A fair bit lighter too. For whatever that's worth!

PBGas":lpxi5ei6 said:

Did you get that 212CB locally ? A couple stores near Mississauga carry Bogner. That cabs been on my radar.

tarices22":o5dw8oh3 said:
I owned both the bogner and the port city os 2x12 for a month or so. Both had v30s. They were really close sound wise, but I preferred the port city for its wider dispersion and better low end response. A fair bit lighter too. For whatever that's worth!

That was the opposite of my experience. I had two PC Wave cabs: the first one and then the OS that came out later (back in 2007?). They were brand new and an improvement over my Marshall 1936...But, they were still directional on stage. The sound dispersed well out front, but it was too directional for me on stage.

I got the Bogner OS 2x12 with semi open back panels and it was not directional at all. Could still chug quite a bit, but I don't play hyper metal.

I'll never have a fully closed back cabinet again. I know us a Stagecraft vertical 2x12, semi open back and it's as good as the Bogner and most 4x12's for what I do.

The Mesa 2x12's (horizontal and vertical) are both really good. Horizontal has a small footprint and that cab punches like crazy. My buddy has one and he made it semi-open back and it can hang with a 4x12.

Back