Do you absolutely need a loadbox for recording?

JMP as in the head? If so, then yes, you always need some sort of load on the amp, whether it be a cab or dummy load.

without a load box you will ruin your output transformer along with a few other costly components. You should never turn your amp on without it being plugged into a speaker cab or dummy load that has the proper ohm rating.

As you can see here there is no other load than the input of the soundcard (4K).
I used NadIr + God's Cab Ir.

Of course your are right but for a very very small signal it works and it works pretty well.

The point of a load box has nothing to do with sound quality. The simple fact of the matter is this: what you're doing is unsafe.

In fact it is unsafe only for the soundcard. I could burn the input diodes of the circuit that's all.
The amp's level is so low that i could unplug the amp totally and play a moment without burning the OT.
You have to understand what happens when you burn the Output Transformer.

bmi":1c7pt3jr said:
In fact it is unsafe only for the soundcard. I could burn the input diodes of the circuit that's all.
The amp's level is so low that i could unplug the amp totally and play a moment without burning the OT.
This is not true. do this, and you will kill the output transformer, as previously mentioned.

Running a tube amp with no load, no matter the volume, is like running your engine with no oil in it. You can do it, but it's only a matter of time before it's toast.

ThrowBackMan":26na14qg said:
Sounds great.. I think the load box is for keeping the amp safe, etc,.
Sure at higher level. I am using the smallest signal that i can get out of the amp.

chunktone":d6vnb3ve said:
bmi":d6vnb3ve said:
This is not true. do this, and you will kill the output transformer, as previously mentioned.
That's not an explanation.

JSutter":t32m6pjk said:
Running a tube amp with no load, no matter the volume, is like running your engine with no oil in it. You can do it, but it's only a matter of time before it's toast.
There is a load here.

ke2":qbylffy8 said:
4, 8 or 16 ohms? :) In the sound card?
Lol 4k ohms.
I played half an hour with the JMP and the JCM2000.
The JMP works so much better but it has nos tubes.

The level is very small. Into a 4x12 i have the same level than my kemper plugged directly into the cab.
That's how i know that it is safe for the soundcard. That gives me a reference as power output for the JMP or JCM.

I think that i understand that people say it's meh but they don't know what they are talking about and they are not able to make a valid technical conversation about the subject.

Back