Do you buffer your effect loop?

Bato

I wonder if you guys buffer you effect loop?

I use a fucking tone sucking t.c. gmajor and would like to know if it´s usefull to buffer the loop to fresh up the signal.

Nah the g major should have a proper impedance output, prolly the a/d converters destroying your tone. Be sure the fx loop is serial, be sure the patch output levels are set to zero and not -6th. Other than that get a new fx unit.

No need to buffer them. Diezel already buffers their loops. I use a G-major and love it for effects. I notice tone suck when I'm playing dry heavy rhythm. My solution was to goto midi switching with a GCX or something and switch it out of the signal path when I don't need it.

I use midi. And i use the serial switchable loop.

@moltenmetalburn

I noticed the same with the -6db.
I still use 0db settings. But i´ll have to go back to stompboxmode with my midiboard.

But ok, i didnt know that the Diezel loops are buffered.

Bato":1zmpmt9k said:
I use midi. And i use the serial switchable loop.

@moltenmetalburn

I noticed the same with the -6db.
I still use 0db settings. But i´ll have to go back to stompboxmode with my midiboard.

But ok, i didnt know that the Diezel loops are buffered.

Lol didn't realize you were using a diezel. Yeah the best loops ever, definitely the fault of the fx unit. The diezels have tube buffered fx loops. Switch it out when not using it. There is no such thing as truly transparent unfortunatley.

I use a TC Nova System in the series effects loop and have it set to unity gain. Sometimes you might need to raise the settings on the device to +1, not zero, to capture the entire tone without losing anything from the amp. I have no problem getting a completely neutral tone with the effects on.
Check your TC G-Major for the tonal settings to insure that you have it matched up with the amp without the effects engage to see if you are getting a neutral tonal exchange or losing some amp tone with the effects engaged.

The gm is set up perfectly.
It´s a tone sucker. But not highs or s.th. else, it´s more the growl and how the amp "breathe".

Bato":afrsdlkb said:
The gm is set up perfectly.
It´s a tone sucker. But not highs or s.th. else, it´s more the growl and how the amp "breathe".

Thats the reason why I sold my G-System. Even with the bypass-patch I lost a lot of punch but thats the reason why I own a Herbert :rock:

I dislike these tc devices more and more...but i need some effects!
And i need an effect unit with at least one physical switch. There´s nothing like tc! Damn!

Which effects are you using or do you need? The Rocktrpn Intellifex (very old indeed) has a really good sound and set right, it doesn't suck at all. The LTD version has only a few effects and it's hard to program due to its immense parameters.

Also, parallel loops preserve your good amptone when you use a slight amount of effects mixed to the original signal (set it to 30% mix and the fx-unit to full wet) - but you can get phasing problems.

I´m not an effect freak. All i need is little rev, delay, sometimes chorus. The other effects in one or two songs.
So it´s not a big deal. But i need a unit with switching solutions like the gm has.

Run the fx in parallel (kill dry) - and just dly and rv in the loop.
Use a chorus in front of the amp if you really should need it.

I don´t like the chorus sound in front of an input.
As i owned an EH small clone i used to put it in the loop. And i don´t like to have anything in front of the amp exept. a wah and a buffer.

But thanx Düsi!

Bato":39rim7nv said:
I don´t like the chorus sound in front of an input.
As i owned an EH small clone i used to put it in the loop. And i don´t like to have anything in front of the amp exept. a wah and a buffer.

But thanx Düsi!
Gonna have to pitch the unit then :dunno:

Just sayin', ain't the loop's fault...

V.

I know that. Peter wrote it above. I never expected the amp to be the issue. I know the issue is the f**** tc unit.
And once again it´s not about clarity, because i set up the amp in a way to sound very good with the unit. But it sounds amazing with the loop off. It´s raw, nasty, brutal. With the gm on all off that is nearly gone.

Bato":51ahx6b1 said:
With the gm on all off that is nearly gone.

I have the same experience with my G-Major. I'm telling you man bypass the entire unit when you don't need the effects. :yes: Worked a charm for me. :thumbsup:

I use a TC G System with the Diezel Herbert and the Diezel VH4(S). I also found that the TC G System sucks tone. The amps lose their punch.

The solution is to run the G System (or any TC unit) in the Parallel effects loop. Set the TC G System to "Kill Dry". You will be able to use Delay, Reverb, and some of the Pitch Shifting (Detune, Intelligent Harmonizer) when the G System is set to "Kill Dry". The DETUNE effect is very similar to a CHORUS effect.

Do not use modulation effects (phaser, chorus, flanger) while the TC G System is in the parallel loop. Phasing issues result in horrible sound.

This may be a good solution:

Equipment required:
Diezel amp
GCX Audio Switcher
GCX Ground Control Pro
Decimator Pro Rack G
two TC G Majors

Guitar -> GCX Audio Switcher
GCX Audio Switcher Loop 1 -> Decimator Pro Rack G
GCX Audio Switcher Loop 2 -> First TC G Major (used for Compressor,Chorus,Phaser,Flanger,Octaver,Whammy,Detune,Vibrato,Tremolo,Wah)
GCX Audio Switcher Loop 3 -> Diezel Herbert Input
GCX Audio Switcher Loops 4 to 8 -> NOT USED
Diezel Herbert Parallel Loop -> Second TC G Major (set to "KILL DRY"; used for delay, reverb, harmonizer, detune)

With this setup, there is true-bypass whenever effects are not used. The GCX Audio Switcher allows the First G Major in front of the preamp to be completely bypassed. The Second G Major is in the Parallel Loop and set to "KILL DRY", so there will be no tone loss in the effects loop.
:rock: :rock:

Back