Does anyone have experience with the Krankenstein Jr. 50?

BSRIAudio

I'm looking for a really small 50+ watt amp head and until recently I didn't think there was much aside fro Sovtek Midgets. I just found out that Krank makes a Krankenstein Jr. 50-watter that would do exactly what I need which is provide good tones in a small package for grab-n-go practices where I dont want to take more than a 2x12 and a lightweight small size head. The price isn't bad either for a USA made all tube amp head. Anyone have any experience with them? These videos sound pretty decent to me.

Great little amps.
RevJR PRO costs a little less and is nearly identical.
Very loud for a 50w - will easily drive a 4x12 cab.
Krank makes 1x12 cabs for these as well.

TeleBlaster":5fv1c9iw said:
Great little amps.
RevJR PRO costs a little less and is nearly identical.
Very loud for a 50w - will easily drive a 4x12 cab.
Krank makes 1x12 cabs for these as well.

Yeah it seems like the difference is primarily the amount of gain. Since the price difference is only $50 I'd probably end up getting the Krankenstein just to have the option for ridiculous gain if neccessary. If I can find a used one Ill probably jump on it.

Two more amps you might want to look at are the 50 watt EVH amp and the carvin v3 micro. If made in the usa is must the carvin is worth a look 50 watt three channels, effects loop, and reverb in a micro sized head. There are clips of each from namm but not much info on them that I could find. Just throwing more options out there since I don't have any experience with any of the amps including the krank I Imight not have helped you any. :scared:

strungup":2gke89c2 said:
Two more amps you might want to look at are the 50 watt EVH amp and the carvin v3 micro. If made in the usa is must the carvin is worth a look 50 watt three channels, effects loop, and reverb in a micro sized head. There are clips of each from namm but not much info on them that I could find. Just throwing more options out there since I don't have any experience with any of the amps including the krank I Imight not have helped you any. :scared:

Size is the driving force for this purchase and the new EVH head is laughably large to be called "mini." It looks to be about the size of a Rectifier head with the increased depth of the 5150III. Its not a small amp based on the pictures I have seen.

I saw the carvin and it looks like it will pack a lot of features. I kind of like the look of a tolexed head more though.

The V3 sounds pretty good (insert your own Tone King punchline here) and has lots of killer features.

THE TONE KING !

JOHNNY DeMARCO !

CaseyCor":1o2vcvag said:
Orange Tiny/Dual Terror, Mesa Transatlantic, Vox Night Train, Egnater Rebel/Tweaker.

Played them all and except for the Tweaker I thought they all sounded pretty meh. Regardless, none of them have enough power for what I'm doing.

theres a cool company called satellite amps , but I dont know how good they r 4 metal, they all have only a few knobs but sound killer!

joepete77":2pxxxj58 said:
theres a cool company called satellite amps , but I dont know how good they r 4 metal, they all have only a few knobs but sound killer!

Jonny of Social Distortion was playing 2 of those with a Variac next to each one when I saw them last October.. :thumbsup: :rock:

Those heads are definitely smaller than the usual fare but I dont think they can compete with the little Kranks in terms of size. I think theyre quite a bit more expensive too.

Back