Does Grill Cloth Really make a difference?????

tonmazz

Ok Art(232cap) has a handwired Marshall cab with Heritage 30s and I have the same speakers with the AX grill cloth. His cab is warm and sounds great. I can't get mine to sound as good. I think they have just about equal break in. Could it be the grill cloth?

I was thinking about this about a month ago as well.
One of my cabs has a metal Grill in front and the other has the Basket weave cloth front.
The metal grill seems 'sharper' but I always dismissed it for the speakers.
Would the cloth 'warm it up' a bit? :confused:

A Marshall rep told me once that one of the keys to the Marshall cabs sounding great is the grill cloth........and it contains.......paper!!! One reason is that it rolls off the highs just enough.

You guys have GOT to be joking...??!!?? :student:

Seriously??? :confused:

I profess complete and utter ignorance if this is indeed the case. I'd never in a million years concurred with this notion. Ever. I'm going to have to learn a bit more about this, as honestly?? I would claimed SNAKE OIL the moment someone woulda tried to feed me this.

Kazy.
V.

psychodave":qg49i6nn said:
Ventura":qg49i6nn said:

I profess complete and utter ignorance if this is indeed the case. I'd never in a million years concurred with this notion. Ever. I'm going to have to learn a bit more about this, as honestly?? I would claimed SNAKE OIL the moment someone woulda tried to feed me this.

Kazy.
V.
Keep thinking it is snake oil, while I keep having killer tone :thumbsup: No BS with grill cloths... :thumbsup:

Well tell me more, like - how does it work? I can sense it would be a potential high end hiss filter to an extent, but when things really started pushin', I wouldn't have thought it would make a diff.

I ain't arguing with ya, I'm actually pretty intrigued ;)

V.

It's easy to block high frequencies...of a course a heavy grill covering like basketweave will reduce the highs a bit.

Seriously, the only difference is if you have any kind of cloth/baffle over the speakers, or the baffle is removed so the speakers are bare. You'll get a more direct sound without the baffle.

My one cab without the cloth is MUCH sharper tone wise.
Has Vintage 30's and Heritage Celestians in a X pattern.

I am going to check into getting some.
Any cloth more desirable then another?
Seems like the Basket weave is the way to go.

I went thru a stage when I was trying different grill cloths, my uncle is in the upholstery business and helped me change them out. My favorite is a basketweave salt & pepper.

I never would have thought about this either. I just bought a black Bogner OS 2x12, should I have gone with the wheat grill cloth???

My favorite two grill cloth's are Marshall salt and pepper[basket weave], and Marshall large check cloth like you see in the 1960 ax/bx cabs. :rock:
both of these do a guy the most good.
every cab I got even all the cabs in storage have these two grill cloth choices. :thumbsup:

psychodave":3lltkkfv said:
Ventura":3lltkkfv said:
psychodave":3lltkkfv said:
Ventura":3lltkkfv said:

Kazy.
V.
Keep thinking it is snake oil, while I keep having killer tone :thumbsup: No BS with grill cloths... :thumbsup:

Well tell me more, like - how does it work? I can sense it would be a potential high end hiss filter to an extent, but when things really started pushin', I wouldn't have thought it would make a diff.

V.

I will give you an exaggerated example. Take a blanket and throw it over the cabinet and play. Now take it off and play. You should hear a difference. Grill cloth is like this… thin cloth like Marshall black lets through more than a nice tight basketweave.

My old gig cabinet had 2 grill cloths loaded on it...since I was using 75's. Small check over basketweave... :thumbsup:
For quite a few shows I used to hang womens bra's over the front of my cabs.. ;)
This must have made the frequencies more 'cut through' mix wise because it made all the nipples in the front rows stand out more. :LOL: :LOL: :yes:

Nico":2gccx2qn said:
I never would have thought about this either. I just bought a black Bogner OS 2x12, should I have gone with the wheat grill cloth???
I don't think so, because the bogner cabs seem a touch darker by nature, so the black cloth should be your best bet tone wise.
besides it looks cool that way. :LOL: :LOL:

Of course it makes a difference, that is just science of sound.

There is plenty of research out there on the home audio side.

I tried to find something I had read about all the different grill cloth Marshall has used over the years, and how they affect sound.

Maybe someone else can Google better than me... :aww:

Anyway, my personal fave is S/P Marshall cloth w/ 55 greenbacks.

Hollywood":20rcyn0j said:
psychodave":20rcyn0j said:
Ventura":20rcyn0j said:
psychodave":20rcyn0j said:
Ventura":20rcyn0j said:

Kazy.
V.

V.

I will give you an exaggerated example. Take a blanket and throw it over the cabinet and play. Now take it off and play. You should hear a difference. Grill cloth is like this… thin cloth like Marshall black lets through more than a nice tight basketweave.

My old gig cabinet had 2 grill cloths loaded on it...since I was using 75's. Small check over basketweave... :thumbsup:
For quite a few shows I used to hang womens bra's over the front of my cabs.. ;)
This must have made the frequencies more 'cut through' mix wise because it made all the nipples in the front rows stand out more. :LOL: :LOL: :yes:

Bunch of dudes in the front row at that show??? :no: You're a sick man! :LOL: :LOL:

Back