Dokken "Back for the Attack"

70strathead

man i just slapped this cd on and it not only brought back awesome memories but good lord, the melodic content/tone and playing from George back then was just so refreshing and musical. Everyone talks about VH tone, but the tone on this record is ridiculously good in terms of warm Marshall-ness crunch. Am i the only guy who thinks this??

Ant

I agree, but I also think this album was his second best from a tone standpoint. For me, Lynch reached his pinnacle of great tone on "Under Lock and Key".

rupe":2voemoi4 said:
I agree, but I also think this album was his second best from a tone standpoint. For me, Lynch reached his pinnacle of great tone on "Under Lock and Key".
+1,000,000. I love "Back for the Attack", but I used to listen to "Under Lock and Key" like a mental patient back when it came out, tweaking my rig like a madman until I had that tone live... To me it was the ultimate 80s rock tone...

Steve

Monster marshall tone for sure, Lock and Key was also insane for tone.

Those years is how I like to remember Lynch, up to Scared Groove.

Back For The Attack sounded more raw than Lock And Key. I like the Rhythm crunch and balls on Back For The Attack, but i loved the leads on Lock And Key.

70strathead":3u7x91jf said:
man i just slapped this cd on and it not only brought back awesome memories but good lord, the melodic content/tone and playing from George back then was just so refreshing and musical. Everyone talks about VH tone, but the tone on this record is ridiculously good in terms of warm Marshall-ness crunch. Am i the only guy who thinks this??

Ant

nope...you are not alone,my friend! :yes: :thumbsup:

danyeo":3neiqcoo said:
Back For The Attack sounded more raw than Lock And Key. I like the Rhythm crunch and balls on Back For The Attack, but i loved the leads on Lock And Key.
I can see that....going from a Rockman then back to an amp. :LOL: :LOL:

A lot of Fernandes sustainer also ?

For me, some of the solos start to show that "lack of focus" approach that George started to get into, especially with his later solo stuff. But, that said, some of the solos on BFTA just kill, my favorite might be Heaven Sent. Not sure what he was going for on Burning Like a Flame. I remember he said he was trying for a Pete Townshend feel, but I don't relate the two.

Back