Dr. Feelgood mod

Blackie08

Trace,

Do you guys have any more info on it? Whats the difference between that and the regular Jose HG mod that you do or your V-Rock? Any special characteristics of that mod (besides sounding like the Dr. Feelgood album) that set it apart from other Jose HG mods? What amps do you do it on (original Marshalls,marshall reissues, ceriatone clones, etc..)? Price?

Trace, Do you guys have any more info on it? Whats the difference between that and the regular Jose HG mod that you do or your V-Rock?

Yes, sorry we’ve been busy and as I have not had a chance to update the site with this info we have brought on a new gentleman to take care of all our online/web work (frees me up to spend more time on the bench and with customers, which is where my passion is!).

Our V-Rock is based on our HG-Jose Mod, which is a different circuit and design compared to the Dr Feelgood circuit. Mick did not use all the gain that was on tap when he tracked Dr Feedgood where as other players did. We have also taken one of our V-Plex 100 watt amps and convert that into a Dr Feelgood amp.

Any special characteristics of that mod (besides sounding like the Dr. Feelgood album) that set it apart from other Jose HG mods?

It has 3 gain controls as well as Master Volume so it is very versatile and more organic in nature than the HG-Jose Mod. You can easily use it for fusion, blues/classic rock tones as well as 80’s tones. It’s definitely a high gain amp so you can use it for gain’ier tones now but it’s not as “modern” sounding as other amps/tones are today. It’s not scooped out and it’s not hyped on the low end, it’s more organic but at the same time it’s got a fair mount of gain on tap and is easy to play on. Very rich sounding, harmonically complex and big/bold sounding. We have documented numerous Jose Modded amps and this one (the Dr Feelgood Mod) was more unique in many respects as well as more versatile than the others we’re worked on/serviced.

What amps do you do it on (original Marshalls,marshall reissues, ceriatone clones, etc..)? Price?

In a perfect world a plexi amp is ideal (IE: 4 input super lead, plexi reissue, etc) and it has to be a 100 watter as we need the extra physical room to add another 12AX7/preamp tube. To nail the Dr Feelgood tones to the “T” requires upgrading the power transformer as it ran on higher voltage than most other Marshalls in 1973 (highest we’ve seen and we’ve worked on a great many 1959’s from ’73).

Pricing varies depending on the amp we are modding as some amps require more work than others. For example; A reissue Marshall/super lead would be cheaper than a Ceriatone as Ceriatones tend to require more work/tweaking (for a number of reasons).

Feel free to call me and I would be happy to talk with you about what your individual needs are, what you need the amp to do, etc. Once we determine that I can recommend an amp for you to get that best fits your budget and I can also let you know how much it will cost for the Mods/work you need to have done (no sense spending more than you have to! lol).

Happy holidays!!!! :)
Trace

Back