Duezel Hagen vs Bogner XTC

Whole different beast. The Hagen might be my favorite Diezel. It's more in the hi-fi camp than the Ecstasy, but the tone and flexibility are incredible. I only had the chance to try a Hagen at Guitar Center, and for a long time the VH4 was kind of the king of Diezels in my mind. However, what first blew me away was the clean channel, then as I went through the drive channels, I was blown away. It's hard to put into words, but I just really liked the tone.

Some people say the Ecstasy 101b has a mediocre clean channel. I think it's good, but the Hagen has a better clean channel in my opinion. It's just more fun. The plexi mode of the Ecstasy is something the Hagen can't do. It can do tones like in the blue channel of the XTC gain-wise, but it's a different feel and tone. To me the blue channel of the Ecstasy needs some volume to get real good, but the Hagen gives up a lot at any volume. The EQ of the Hagen is better than the Ecstasy. Little tweaks go a long way. Anyway, the Hagen channel 2 is just as badass as the channel 2 blue of the Ecstasy.

Where the Hagen and Ecstasy both excel is on channel 3. Hagen's channel 3 kind of makes you wonder why there's a channel 4 - until you get around to playing with channel 4. I like channel 3 a bit more than channel 4, but if I owned one, that might change. It's just the quintessential Diezel distortion flavor.

Lots of great things to say about the Hagen. The short time I spent with it left an amazing impression on me. That being said, there is something very special about the Ecstasy channel 3 red. Like the Hagen channel 3, you can just sit and noodle on it all day long.

It's hard to say and I won't recommend one either way because they're both incredible. The Hagen is a special amp and I wish I had one. The Ecstasy is very special, and I miss the one I had very much. You get MIDI and all the other features with the Hagen, but the Ecstasy doesn't have all that. However, there is nothing that can replicate the Ecstasy sound. It's such a good sound. If I had to rate each amp on a scale from 1 to 10, I'd make the Ecstasy a 10 and the Hagen a 9.9 for tone. Likewise, if you compared features and flexibility, the Ecstasy would be a 7 and the Hagen would be 11. Tonally, the Ecstasy is very flexible even though it's 3 channels compared to 4 on the Hagen.

Hope this helps.

SavageRiffer puts it very well, and describes my impressions almost exactly. The Hagen has a really cool unique thing going on. It is hifi, reminding me of a SSS in the back end, but it is a musical hifi. I could imagine really enjoying that amp for a long time. Would love to tube roll it with some NOS long-plates to get the harmonics really going.

The Hagen is the closest amp Diezel makes to the XTC. If you like the XTC 101b, the Hagen will feel, respond, and sound the most familiar to you out of the Diezel line. Hagen is a bit more modern sounding head to head... XTC more like a squishy older Marshall. I think you'd like it. It's not as metal or modern sounding as the VH4 or Herbert. I still think you need a VH4 though.
:thumbsup:

Well i was thinks ng what i lack is a more modern metal amp. The Friedman gives me the classic Marshall rock tones in spades. The Ecstasy is a brilliant high gainer and very flexible. What I don't have is that Pantera, Testament, etc... amp. I used to own Engl PB and an Uberschall. Very fun amps. I want another modern metal amp. Sounds like maybe the Herbert or the D Moll is my best bet??

yngzaklynch":1yuwqhba said:
Well i was thinks ng what i lack is a more modern metal amp. The Friedman gives me the classic Marshall rock tones in spades. The Ecstasy is a brilliant high gainer and very flexible. What I don't have is that Pantera, Testament, etc... amp. I used to own Engl PB and an Uberschall. Very fun amps. I want another modern metal amp. Sounds like maybe the Herbert or the D Moll is my best bet??

For metal the Herbert is the master. Skip the DMoll as it's not the same and not as tight, focused, and evil sounding. If you want metal... get the Herbert no question.

Hey buddy! All has been rolling good. Got a few new amps. PRS Archon has been king of the pile.
You should check one out. Like a VH4 but can get heavier.

When I had my VH4 i got an Archon and did a A/B test. Had about 8 guys over. Did a 'back turn' blind test between them. I could dial that Archon in exactly like the Diezel. Guys were stumped.
3 of the guys ordered one that very night! :yes:

Haven't owned neither, but I heard the other Peter live playing it with his cover band Helter Skelter. He got every god damned sound out our it you can ask for. This Herbert for sure is a monster in versatility. Haven't had it on my radar before, but that was REALLY impressive. (And Peter is a monster player)

Back