Dunable vs Balaguer guitars

pipboy90

I’m looking for a 25.5” scale length guitar I can tune to C standard. I’ve heard good things about both of these brands, so I wanted to get an idea of what you guys thought of them.

I don’t currently have the cash or time to order a custom shop, but I may be able to get a dunable USA yeti for ~$2500, which is my max budget right now. I did order a Select series Balaguer recently (import model) that had a grey/black satin finish. The hardware and setup looked good, but i didn’t like the finish at all, so i returned it.

Never played a Dunable but my custom Balaguer (also an import) is as good as any guitar I've ever played

Granted the prices are way higher now; when I got mine the price was crazy low

58442666_10219217513167959_1572713201550753792_n.jpg

I’m looking for a 25.5” scale length guitar I can tune to C standard. I’ve heard good things about both of these brands, so I wanted to get an idea of what you guys thought of them.

I don’t currently have the cash or time to order a custom shop, but I may be able to get a dunable USA yeti for ~$2500, which is my max budget right now. I did order a Select series Balaguer recently (import model) that had a grey/black satin finish. The hardware and setup looked good, but i didn’t like the finish at all, so i returned it.
Neither, go grab a Lacello custom guitar for that money, they are absolutely wicked. Hand built by a single luthier in Canada.

I own one and it is freaking amazing!!

I've tried an Espada from Balaguer and it was pretty good. I would also recommend Chubtone if you are OK with Bolt On neck. I have my chubtone Explorer tuned to C at the moment. My Superstrat from them with the quilt top is my favorite guitar out of the 6 I own(mayones, Aviator, Charvel, ibanez, Gibson)

Love my Dunable R2s, stellar fit and finish. One tuned to drop C and the other to C standard. Once I had my first one I had to buy another

Attachments

• IMG_3104.jpeg
    IMG_3104.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3116.png
    IMG_3116.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1916.jpeg
    IMG_1916.jpeg
    412.9 KB · Views: 37
$2500 isn’t a super great price on a yeti, particularly if it used. Easy to find used Dunables at 1500-2000. Even some new around 2200. Just FYI.

Used Balaguer imports are a sick deal IMO. They play well, sound decent and are well outfitted. As you noted though, they somehow feel a touch cheap for lack of a better word. I’ll buy another to try if I stumble on a great deal but I don’t think it will unseat any favorites.

Custom shop Dunables can be rough around the edges, but the guitar designs are amazing. Very ergonomic while feeling like a solid piece of wood. And I think they are churning out better and better work over last few years. My most recent R2 is stellar. So I highly recommend them if “a modern take on Gibson” is up your alley — less so if you if you want absolute precision builds a la suhr or Anderson.

Thanks for all of your insight guys, I appreciate it.

One thing I didn’t mention in the OP is how I’m locked into shop credit currently because I returned a B-stock guitar (that’s just how their return policy is).

So my current choices are either this Balaguer Espada or this dunable Yeti. I considered a dunable DE Cyclops too but a lot of them have trapeze tails that I don’t think I’d like. Can anyone speak to them? To they have a lot of extra overtones?

Thanks for all of your insight guys, I appreciate it.

One thing I didn’t mention in the OP is how I’m locked into shop credit currently because I returned a B-stock guitar (that’s just how their return policy is).

So my current choices are either this Balaguer Espada or this dunable Yeti. I considered a dunable DE Cyclops too but a lot of them have trapeze tails that I don’t think I’d like. Can anyone speak to them? To they have a lot of extra overtones?
Ah, clears that up! You could always add some foam to tame the excess noise, if needed.

I have a USA Dunable Gnarwhal I'm selling, $2200 shipped. It handles C Standard like a champ. Message me if you're interested.

The DEs feel solid to me but definitely feel more mid-tier. Lots of folks love em though, I’m probably a snob.

The USA cyclops with trapeze I had didn’t have lots of overtones that I noticed, but it did seem noticeably less slinky than a stoptail. I don’t understand the physics of that enough to know if I was just imagining it.

Back