Effects loop / pedal popping - advice request

neilli

I'll preface by this by saying I'm something of a newbie in the land of tube heads. I had a JCM800 back in the day, but then got into rack gear and hadn't had a head / pedal board layout for about 20 years. Also, I am certainly no kind of techie: I plug things in and expect them to work!

Anyway, I have a Friedman modified 1987X and was using it with a couple of boss pedals in the loop and all was fine. But then I got a TC-Electronic Flashback X4, and my problem began. HOWEVER, this probably happens every other time I power up, not all the time: there is a loud 'pop' from the amp when I press any of the footswitch buttons on the X4. By the time I've pressed them maybe 8 times, the popping has gone, but it's loud and it's obviously not supposed to be happening. I've tried pressing the buttons before turning on from standby and that doesn't seem to help.

Could this be a tube issue? A problem with the pedal? Or a problem with levels? Any inconsistency when there are tubes involved always make me think 'tube issue', but I have no idea if that's a likely culprit here.

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated!

neilli":22eko2ix said:
I'll preface by this by saying I'm something of a newbie in the land of tube heads. I had a JCM800 back in the day, but then got into rack gear and hadn't had a head / pedal board layout for about 20 years. Also, I am certainly no kind of techie: I plug things in and expect them to work!

Anyway, I have a Friedman modified 1987X and was using it with a couple of boss pedals in the loop and all was fine. But then I got a TC-Electronic Flashback X4, and my problem began. HOWEVER, this probably happens every other time I power up, not all the time: there is a loud 'pop' from the amp when I press any of the footswitch buttons on the X4. By the time I've pressed them maybe 8 times, the popping has gone, but it's loud and it's obviously not supposed to be happening. I've tried pressing the buttons before turning on from standby and that doesn't seem to help.

Could this be a tube issue? A problem with the pedal? Or a problem with levels? Any inconsistency when there are tubes involved always make me think 'tube issue', but I have no idea if that's a likely culprit here.

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated!
You really need to ask this over at the Friedman forum. I recall this being discussed before.

Thanks for the replies guys - I'm intrigued to know why it doesn't happen all the time though. Or why it didn't happen with a boss DD3 in the loop, only starting when I put the flashback in there..

Power on.. take amp off standby.. wait a minute before engaging loop or kicking on fx. Should take care of 'loud' pop issues.

I had this issue on an amp and one fix was to put a buffer between the amp's effects send and the effects. I didn't notice any tone change from doing this, so kept the buffer in line. This was using a Visual Sound buffer but I think any would work.

Back