Effects Loop Question

I was watching Ola Englund's Boss MT2 video where he ran his guitar into the pedal input, and then pedal output into the effects loop return. Is there any difference in that versus running your guitar into the amp, and the effects send into the pedal input, and the pedal output to the effects return?

Yes, anytime you run directly into the FX Return, the preamp is completely bypassed, so all you’re hearing is whatever you have plugged into the FX Return into the power section of the amp.

Connecting like your example would be stacking the FX loop signal on top of the preamp signal.

Ok, thanks. I kept trying it both ways, and thought I was hearing a difference, but with the delay between me changing cables around I wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not. I wanted to make sure before I rewired my pedal board. :)

It sounds like I'm going to need a A/B pedal to do what I want then -> trying to use the MT-2W in the loop as a '3rd channel' on my amp. I haven't managed to dial in a sound on it that I like going in the front of the amp, but have got some tones I really like going in the effects return.

It looks like the wait for rewiring my pedal board continues. :)

Thanks again jc

You may not need an a/b switch if your loop is footswitchable. Are you running anything else in the loop, or just the MT-W?

jc986":1td65z4f said:
You may not need an a/b switch if your loop is footswitchable. Are you running anything else in the loop, or just the MT-W?

The loop isn't foot switchable on my amp, good point otherwise though.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the MT-2W is going to be the only thing in the loop. I was originally going to move my Boss RC-1 looper into the loop before I had the idea of putting the MT-2W in there. I don't think I can set them both up properly in the loop [unless maybe I employed a aby box? - at which point I think things are becoming needlessly complex]

Perhaps my goal should be finding a pedal that gets me the sound I want without having to be in the loop, eh?

I am fairly confident that unless your loop is footswitchable it will not work. It also depends where exactly the loop is placed in the circuit as well. It's likely moddable just matters if you want to do it or pay to get it done.

swamptrashstompboxes":13x1nzva said:
I am fairly confident that unless your loop is footswitchable it will not work. It also depends where exactly the loop is placed in the circuit as well. It's likely moddable just matters if you want to do it or pay to get it done.

Hmm. It seems that you're correct. If I run my guitar straight into the amp, and then run the MT-2W straight into FX Return I get no audio until I unplug the cable from FX Return.

Might be helpful for us to understand what amp you are using and what tones you are trying to accomplish but yeah, seems to be adding unneeded complexity.

Back